Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tool to manage Outlook98 PST files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
Anyone know where to get this tool? I believe that Microsoft produced one but I cannot find it.

[lipstick]

Not quite sure what is meant by a tool to manage Outlook 98 PST files. The only utility I've heard of is the ScanPST.EXE that is used to validate the integrity of and fix problems in PST files. I believe this is installed as part of either Outlook stand alone or MS Office.
Try searching the disk for it, I think it is in the \Program Files\Office\Office directory, but can't be sure.

Thanks Colin. That's useful.

What I was trying to ask in my incoherent way was how to lay my hands on a utility that can trim the size of a pst file.

You have been helpful in a way that I didn't quite ask for but the information is very good to know so have a red star.

[lipstick2]

The only way I know to reduce .pst size is archive using manual or auto archive. Need to set auto archive under tools menu and then set properties on each folder you want to archive. If its 97 I think you have to do each folder individually, in xp you can apply changes to all folders at once.

In Outlook, right-click your Peronal folder and select properties, there you can Compress the PST as well.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

The maximum size of a PST file for this version of Outlook is 2GB - is your PST larger than that? That is the only reason why you might need a tool to trim the size of the PST, and yes, MS do make one for that reason - it's called PST2GB, and it, er, truncates the PST file to 2GB (or whatever size you want to specify). It's not clean, it's not pretty, but it'll let you get at most of your data if your PST is too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back