Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tool to add code to VBA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

THWatson

Technical User
Apr 25, 2000
CA
Using Access 2000

A few days ago, I had to get a new laptop...and it has Windows Vista.

For quite some time I have been using a really handy tool called "Mz Tools" for adding error handling and other code to VBA modules. However, this does not seem to install with Vista. I keep getting error code 0x80004005 when I attempt to install the dll

The website for MZ Tools doesn't indicate whether or not this will work with Vista, but I suspect that somehow Vista handles the registry differently from Windows XP.

Does anybody know of either (a) a fix for this ... or (b) another alternative to MZ Tools?

Thanks.

Tom

Have you tried running it with compatibility mode on windows XP? If yes, I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do. I also have a few tools that won't work on windows Vista. It's a shame.

Greetz,
Joeri

Joeri
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that you can't run the program directly. To install MZTools you have to go to a command prompt, navigate to the MZTools directory and then run a command "regsvr32.exe mztools3vba.dll" but when you do this you get an error code "0X80004005" - command is registered but won't run.

Another approach is to put in the full dos command to c:\windows\system but then the command isn't recognized.

Too bad.

Tom

How are ya THWatson

Try uninstalling ([blue]regsvr32 /u mztools3vba.dll[/blue]) then reinstalling . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

TheAceMan1
I tried your suggestion. Uninstalling works fine. Reinstalling doesn't. Back to square 1

When I try to install, I get the error message "The module mztools3vba.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0X80004005"

If I try to install using the full command prompt, I get a message that says this command was not recognized as an internal or external command.

Funny that it will unregister but won't actually register.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

THWatson . . .

When you want to reregister an already registered dll, you have to unregister first . . . this is the rule as you've found out.

If you can't register (after unregister) somethings wrong with the dll. Try downloading the latest version form where you got it and try again . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi, TheAceMan1
Yep, I did that too. Same results.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way that Windows Vista handles things that is different from XP. Funny that the .dll will load but not register but will unregister.

I am going to communicate with the MZ Tools folks and see what comes up.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

THWatson . . .

AceMan using XP . . . and even for me there is security involved in registering Dlls. Not having [blue]Vista[/blue] I can only hope Vista help will fill the gap . . .

Good Luck! . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

AceMan
The only reason I am into Vista is that my laptop conked out and I had to get a new one. So far, it's not too bad, but I'm of the opinion that I preferred Windows XP. But that's maybe because I knew my way around XP and I sure don't yet around Vista.

Learning curves are interesting for me, but also sometimes a touch painful!

Tom

A lot of people I know where insisting on XP being put on instaed of Vista, it's too early to get it, does not recognise lots of drivers etc. Same with Access 2007, I will wait for all the bugs to go first.

ZOR
That would be a decent option, for sure. However, the only way that can happen in my area - Ontario, Canada - is for one to purchase a system from someone who puts them together himself. That can happen with a desktop system, but with laptops it's almost impossible to find.

Large firms (Staples, Best Buy, The Source etc.) are not providing laptop units with anything other than Vista.

Tom

I finally solved this problem. Very recently, the author of MZTools has included in the setup package an automatic registration of the .dll

Back in business!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back