Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tool for Bandwidth Measurment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimpa1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
I have a cisco router connected to a vsat, which is suppose to give me 128K but it seems a lot slower than that.

What tools can I use to see how much bandwidth I have on a private circuit?

Or is there any command on the cisco router that I can take a look at?

I like to use FTP to test the bandwidth of my routers. Its a protocol that will take as much bandwidth as it can to proceed with the transfer. If you truly have a 128k link, you should be able to reach about 125k of transfer.

A "show interface" should reveal the line speed.

Example of output:

Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

I get this for my serial int, which is generic for all serial so it doesn't help.

I am not at that location either, I can telnet to the router only. Is there some shareware I can use for bandwitdh measurement?

Serial0/1/0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is GT96K Serial
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

The bandwidth statement on the serial interface can be misleading because it can be changed manually to anything and may not reflect the true value - basically I wouldn't trust it to be correct esp. when it says 1544 (which is the default setting out of the box).

A previous poster recommended FTP which is a quick and dirty way of seeing how much capacity you have. In the past, I've also used a nice little utility called Qcheck numerous times in the past - great little tool and it's free.

You can get it here:

you could look at your vsat modem and see what its configured for!

if the quality of the VSAT link is not good your link will seem much slower due to the retransmits.
the latency im sure is not so great at best on the vsat too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back