Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Took the new CCNA (640-801) yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwefel

MIS
Apr 1, 2003
US
I took the new CCNA exam yesterday. Passed with 950.

I have been working with Cisco gear directly for about 4 months and have had a solid understanding of networking before that. I bought the Cisco Press Certification Library (ISBN: 1587200953) last week Sunday. I also bought the Boson practice test.

I am not sure if I just got lucky and got all of the easy questions from the pool or what, but I found the exam to be extremely easy. What are other people thoughts on that?

One word of advice for those taking it, know how to subnet. If you cannot do that, don't take the exam until you can.

Jason

you happen to know the difference betw 640-607 and the new one? i took the old one last month and thought it wasnt very easy... (passed w/ the same score)

From what I understand, token ring is out and OSPF and EIGRP is in. Other than that, I have no clue.

Congrats

Hey schwefel:

Was the Cisco Press Certification Library and the Boson Exams sufficient or did you use any other books to prepare for the exam. Also, how much time did you put into the preperation.

Thanks
Akshtray

i failed 640-607 yesterday (809) but i dont' want to forget what i have in my cranium. i got the new books but wanted to know what points are new in the new test.has anyone seen a list?

Sorahl

What books would you recommend before taking the exam? I have just completed the ICND course and shall be taking the exam in the next couple of weeks.

Hi everyone, i just took the ccna 640-801 today, all of my study materials were for the 607, unfortunatley i failed the test with a 815.

There was 1 question about EIGRP, and one about OSPF. Which was supposed to be the changes, or so ive read on cisco's website.

I had 3 simulations, one i had to create and implement an access list, the others i had to do basic configs of ip addresses, subnet, rip etc. nothing too in depth.

lots of subnetting of course, lots of isdn.

The simulation of the access list is one I never had on the 607 test. I think I'm going to take the two sub tests instead of doing the 801. The total cost for both tests would be 150 right now and I think i have a better chance of passing them separately. If I fail the first one, i only pay another 50 dollars to take it again. If I fail 801 i have to pay another 125 again.

Congrats on pasing the new Cisco exam.

I need some advice from you as i'll son be appearing for the exam. First of all please let me know which boks to go through for the new exam. Please tell me which book should i refer : CCNA Self-Study, exam #640-801), Sixth Edition
by Wendell Odom (Author) or Cisco® Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 4th Edition (640-801) by Todd Lammle. I guess these two are the best for the exam.

Also I need additional information like should I appear for the single exam(CCNA 640-801) or should i opt for INTRO 640-821 & ICND 640-811. Please advice.

thanks.

Wow..you guys provided a lot of great information on this board. I came across this site from Google search. boy I wish I knew about this site sooner. I am currently studing CCNA as well. Just bought 3 2501 routes but unfortunately it doesn't come with any transceivers and it only came with db60 to v.35 serial cables which I don't think will work. Can anyone advise as to how I can connect these routers together to simulate a lab(ex. router1 eth0 to router2 serial0) Thank you so much for your help and congrats to everybody that passes the CCNA exam.

Hi All,

I'm also new in this site..
& now studying for new 801..
i've read 507 & 607 already.
Do i need to read for 801 exam??
if so, pls provide me to got it.

thanks
bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor