Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too old for IT? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haazi2

Programmer
Aug 25, 2000
US
I'm contemplating obtaining an MS in CS although my undergrad major was in Economics. However, I have taken numerous computer courses which included a certificate course to move into the IT arena. I've heard IT is mainly for 20 somethings. A friend of mine mentioned that IT people over 40 have a hard time finding jobs? I'm 36 right now. Am I wasting time and money in attempting to get an MS in CS? What do you all advise?

hey, you!
I am 35, and I am into web programming for a year only, and don't you tell me I am to old, do ya hear me????

Just kidding. But I am web programming for just over a year, and I think that it is up to you to see if that is waste of time or not.
If you find yourself happy and satisfied after work, don't listen what those know-all-forever-in-business people say about you wasting your time.
If some of them are your true friends, they will try to help you with the advise that will move you forward.
Bottom line: if you enjoy doing this, and you feel you are good at it - than go for it, and don't turn around...

Good luck to you.

dsylvano@hotmail.com

You are never too old as long as you like challenges and enjoy learning. The IT industry is an ever evolving industry. Technologies change on a yearly basis. As long as you attempt to keep up with the core of theses technologies you will do fine. Yea the IT industry is for 20 something's, to a degree. They lack the 1 thing older MIS individuals have. Experience. Not just experience in the IT industry but experience in handling work, problem solving and edicate (spelling). Younger guys for the most part "rush" to accomplish tasks. Older more life experienced employees take their time and ensure the job is done correctly. I can say this about the younger generation because I am in my mid to late 20's. I have worked with older and younger techs (I am a technician) and it has been my experience older techs bring more than IT knowledge to the table. So don't sell yourself short and work your way in. Its never too late! James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Thanks for the encouragement. I already know this but it's nice to hear it from others. By the way, I'm getting a CIW certification to enhance my marketability. I will also study Java and have considered Sun's certification in this area. I will apply for graduate school in CS. I know I will be accepted but getting financing is another issue. Thanks again.

I am 51, and am not having any problem finding work in software development arena.

I enjoy it, and am making more money then I have ever made in my live and working less hours !!!

My career change 5 years ago into the IT arena was the neatest thing to happen to me since marriage to my wife, the birth of my daughters, and gettin my 78 'vette. :)

Go for it .. and good luck.

pivan In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

Concur with pivan - although I'm "only" 49.
The rest of you whippersnappers can't hog ALL of the fun!

I switched careers from teaching high school math to programming at the age of 50. I didn't have a hard time because of that, other than the usual problem which every beginning programmer has of finding an entry-level job. Make sure that, in your studies, that you take at least one internship-type class so you get some quasi-work experience and some good references.

4 years later, after 4 years of experience in COBOL IBM mainframe programming, I had to jobhunt again. But all I had to do is put my name and resume out on the internet resume services (Monster.Job, etc.) and I kept getting calls and interviews. All these folks wanted to know is did I know COBOL, they cared not a whit about my age or anything else.

After 3 months, I got another job with a government agency paying significantly more than I was getting at my old job.

Nina Too

Nina Too...My experience has been very similar. In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

I concur, although I have definitely seen horror stories of age discrimination too. I'm 42, and switched from publishing to programming by doing both at some jobs. Now I do programming and web work full-time. I also started my first nonpublishing job in the IT section of a publishing comapny, so that helped too.

I am relieved to hear good news from people my age and older...I am very worried about this subject myself.

I have a B.A. in chemistry and I started my MS in CS 2 years ago at 32. My advice: go for it!! While I've heard about the age discrimination in IT too, consider this: most of the college freshmen enrolled in CS that I have TA'd can barely send email (these are students at the University of California). Even after 4 years of college, I will still be more tech savvy than and will have 10 years of 'work experience' to boot. Who would YOU hire?

Many of the 40 somethings having trouble in IT are mainframe or C programmers who aren't current on technology and don't have any experience working with OOP or Web development or network programming. If they did, they'd find that the market was very ripe for their skills.

I was recently layed off and I can't tell you how many jobs there are out there for people with 3-5 or 5-7+ years of experience in the current technologies. It's the entry level and junior positions that are hard to come by.

Hey there! You are not the only concerned about this. But you have to keep thinking positevely. It is true that there is that type of mentality out there but it depends on who you interview with. Some employers prefer a more mature person with work experience in general. Once you have your foot in the door and you get a couple of years of IT experience, you are good to go. In the meantime, you keep up with the current technologies by getting certified or taking college classes or pursuing a degree.

For example, I am 32 years old and I just changed careers and got a programmer position. My roomate is 45 years old and also just landed his first programmer position. Good luck!

I feel I must put my two cents in here! I'm 23 and find it no easier, being fresh out of college (honours Bsc CS & maths), the industry exploits one's innocence and eagerness (14 hour days with no overtime or training). I though age would bring respect! I see I was mistaken.

To summarise, don't believe the hills far away are greener starting off young in this industry is just as hard as starting off - relatively - old.

...and we'll all probably wind up disillusioned shadows of our former selves in the end!

D.

I'm a shadow of my former self but not disillusioned. Unfortunately I'm cynical enough that it's been about what I expected. Even in technical fields you run into a lot of unprofessional behavior.

It seems like I'm starting to chant this like a mantra in these forums but: A job is just a means to an end. If we're lucky, we find a job we enjoy. What we do away from work is what's really important and what truly defines us. We all struggle with the IT issues we do because it's the area we've chosen thinking it had the best chance of doing something enjoyable.
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Hope some one's still watching this thread.
I say good on ya for having to guts to get into a new career after 20 years in the workplace. It's downright scarey to throw yourself into the pool.
What you may have not considered is the wealth of experience thos elast 20 years will have earned you in one or various industries. many people can learn to become software developers and even become quite good at it. The ones who really shine out above the rest are the programmers who understand the industry for which they are working. I would much rather employ a 40 something with 20 years industry experience than a graduate who may not even know that IT is their dream career. You won't need it - but good luck!

Hey Jeff...

I was watching "Gladiator" again...last night.

Maximus' aide de camp makes a comment:

"Some of the time I do what I want, the rest of the time I do what I have to." Sorta like your mantra.

pivan
In not now, when?
If not here, where?
If not us, who?

Just do it!!

I like it. I've seen that show twice and that line didn't stick. If I see it again I'll have to pay attention....
Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

We do live in the real world out there. I do believe there are some businesses that will not even consider someone in their 40's or 50's no matter how excellent their technical skills. But there are many businesses that need excellent technical professionals and realize that older individuals have a vast variety of experience, in addition to technical expertise, from which their organization can benefit. Go for it and best of luck.

I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT YOU CAN SEE ME ON IRC.BEYOND-IRC.COM MY HANDEL IS FISHEY AND 36 ISNT OLD MY BIGGEST IDOL IS LIKE 50 AND HE PUTS US NEW TEK PPL TO SHAME (HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ) I MEAN (EVERYTHING) HE IS MY IDOL LIKE I SAID BUT HE PROBLY KNOWS EVERTHING BECASUE HE WAS A NAVY PROGRAMER IN THE EARLY 60'S AND HASNT STOPED LEARNING SINCE HE EVEN KNEW MORE ABOUT NEW HEATSINKS THEN I DID (I WAS SUPRISED) SO I SAY YOU ARE NEVER TOI OLD P.S. SORRY FOR ALL CAPS KEYBOARD GOING BAD AND ONLY CAPS WORKS (SOME LOWERCASE BUT NOT ALL)

Learning is a Continious process no matter how old U R and what level you've got, just like me I'm 34 but I'm still learning about our growing IT and the Web so all I can say is Good luck to journey and dont give-up have faith on ur self, coz someday you'll become a "HACKER" dont U think that.......and you can show it to your Kids,and Grandsons that at ur age you've still a courage to pursue ur Career.
Good Luck and God Bless.

Haazi2,

despite 'job offers' like ...

'wanted: it-professional, bla bla bla, maximum age 30'

... i don't think 'old' guys are better than 'young' ones. i'm currently 29 and i think i don't have that experience of life a guy with 40 or 50 has. IT-experience can be learned, and it looks like you try to get experience, right?

a good friend of mine, he is 39, stepped in the cs-field at the age of 35, before this he got a (german doctors) degree in chemistry and worked as a pharmacy-consultant. today he's in a good position (project manager) with something about 4,000-5,000 euro a month (excl. bonuses).

Listen, you are 36, try to get yourself in gears, IT'S THE BRAIN NOT THE BODY (remember your experience of life!)

wish you a peacful and successful life,

-- martin

p.s. there's a good book, author is bodo schaefer, as far as i know, it's only available in german language. best next thing to recomend is the book of 'napoleon hill', get it yourself, it's interesting... (maybe a little bit naive, but it can help to start thinking about ones life)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back