Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

too much traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandyon

Programmer
Feb 21, 2001
US
Searched around but couldn't find any specific help on this.
I run a website that is in ColdFusion. It's a site that gives away free tickets. We did this last year and had no problems when we went live, even with a huge hit at the beginning. This year, the code is much more complicated. When we launched on Monday, we had a lot of people getting, "Service Unavailable" messages. When they refreshed (sometimes 3 or 4 times), the page would load up, but I'm trying to track what may have caused this. We've never seen it in any of our testing. Plus the site was working during all of this, reserving tickets, so it didn't crash.

Basically I think it's either the web host, or my code. And I'm wondering if anyone knows of a utility that can test my code and tell me what the User Load could be.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

service unavailable" would tend to implicate the hosting service. Get all the logs you can get your hands on - web server logs and CF administrator logs. If there is any logging available for the DB get that also. The logs should tell you what the issue was.

What DB are you using?

This is where the new monitoring in CF8 would be a real help.

Cheers,

Bluetone

I am guessing poor queries on this one. And / Or retarded loops.

I have some complicated code on a few pages that is about 2500 lines worth and it is still in the .05 second range minus queries.

Kevin

Pandyon do you have access to the Coldfusion Administrator? If so turn on debugging, run the page and look at the completion time.

Cheers,

Bluetone

Thanks for the replies. The site is hosted by Network Solutions. They tell me it was just the bandwidth, and using a shared packaged. They're telling me to upgrade to dedicated or VPS for more access.

I kept thinking it was the code, since it is much more complicated this year. I still think the code did have something to do with it.

I'm thinking that next year I'll do all of this in .NET components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back