Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too much for one server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2002
US
I'm installing a new Win2003 Server and need to know if I'm trying to put too many things on it.

The server is a dual Pentium Xeon 2.8 GHz with 1 gb of RAM and dual NIC's teamed together.

Here are the services that I want to run on the new server:
-DHCP
-DNS (backup to another server)
-WINS (backup to another server)
-Global Catalog
-Schema master
-File server
-Print server

Thanks,

Russell

I have 3 systems somewhat similiar to yours and I run all of these services as well. The only difference is that I bumped my RAM up to 2GB (better overkill than not enough).

I have a Compaq Proliant with only 1 Xeon processor and 768Mb RAM and it works very well.
Extra RAM always helps but its the speed at which the disks run that is more important on a file store.

One of my client's FSMO servers is a single 2.8 xeon ,raid5 on a lsilogic u320-2, 15k rpm Seagate disks, 2 gig ram running everything you posted plus....

SQL, Symantec CE AV, APC UPS software, ExecutiveSoftware's Diskeeper and Undelete, Adware pro with Adwatch, Veritas backup 8.6, Lsilogic Powerconsole Plus, Intel DeviceView, Terminal server for administration only, and a few other non taxing programs.. no problems whatsoever; though I consider this the limit of this server, and told the client no more server based software should be added.

Do not get confident and add nonsense programs, keep it as clean and mean as possible. For every server based program you add, the risk of problems increase dramatically. A FMSO server can be a nasty thing to rebuild in an emergency situation. Been there.

Agree with both tfg13 and ccaathl, bump the ram to 2 gig and make sure you have a quality raid disk system.

We have a Windows 2003 server @ 1.6Ghz CPU with 1GB of ram and it copes fine with the following:

- DHCP
- DNS
- WINS
- Global Catalog
- Schema master
- File server
- Print server
- Domain Controller
- Merak Mail Server
- SUS
- FTP Server
- Remote Access Server
- IIS

It's not a busy network, about 12clients - with a few wireless laptops logging on sometimes to print / internet.

We have used Windows Server 2003's built in Disk Striping & Mirroring to provide redundancy and higher disk write speeds with a PCI IDE card.

Robert Bentley

SynergyworksHosting.co.uk
"reliable services at realistic prices

for 6 months i have been running all of what rob said above + a 2003 exchange with 30 clients some hard wired some wireless and wait for it its running on duron 1.0 with 256 sdram lol with no problems

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Edison (1847-1931)
Heads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back