Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too much disk system space for W2K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jald

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2003
FR
hello,
I have a laptop which was formatted with 2 partitions under W98SE. C is 2GB the other D has 4GB. This is not too much.
Since I went to W2K My system parttion of 2GB has only 250 Mb free. The system paging space is on the other.
How to free some space on this partition which is going to freeze my PC.
Can I delete all the files under C:windows/temp?
I do not have hibernate files.
Some files from W98SE seem to be still on the partition C. Do I have a tool to see what to clean?
I would prefer not to buy a new drive.
Should I change to one partition?
Thanks.

Hello jald,

If you don't need anything from the 98se OS you can do a clean install. You can wipe out the two partitions. Just put your 2000 CD in the drive shut off the computer. Now turn on the computer after Post you see something like Do you wan't to boot from CD press enter. Press enter Setup screen will come up. After files are loaded follow the instructions on the screen they are straight forward.

Let us know what happens or if you need more help.

Good luck

spool

Hi jald,

If you don't want to reinstall the whole thing you can alway use some partition manager utility. I personally use Partition Magic from Power Quest to resize my partitions.

Thanks, but I have a lot of installed products. I would like to clean what is installed without reinstalling the system. Can I delete the W2K service packs?

You can delete \WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ (if you elected to back up before install) - but you obviiously won't be able to uninstall the service pack after this.

If there is still a \windows folder from win98 (and you installed 2k in default of \winnt) you can just delete the \windows folder. Obviously if you have been using any folders/files under there, save them elsewhere before deleting.

Have you tried running disk cleanup (in system tools under Acessories)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back