Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many Windows files

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilJast

Technical User
Jan 18, 2007
US
When I open MY COMPUTER there is to many Windows files;
Windows
Windows.0
Windows.1
Windows.2
Windows.3
Windows.4
Windows.5
The question is which ones can I delete and what is the proper way for doing it.

Can it be because of the above that it takes very long to open applications.
Thanks

What's the history of this machine. One way to get multiple windows folders is to install windows on a machine with windows and take the option at install time that leaves the current windows folder alone. (I can't recall the actual wording).

So did you install 95, 98 98SE, XP Home & finally XP Pro for example?

Or did you just have big trouble installing XP in the first place?

May be best to save your data to a backup & re-install from scratch from the CD-ROM formatting the HDD in the process.

How many operating systems do you have installed, are you dual booting?

What is the history of the machine, how have you found yourself in this situation?

The good news is that Windows will not allow you to delete and Windows folder that is in use. Just clarify that these are folders you are talking about and not files called windows.

How to remove a second installation of a Windows operating system from a partition

2 copies of windows XP installed on my system
thread779-846333

What do the Properties say about these files/folders?

Just to be safe you could copy anything to DVD/CD before deleting it.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Let me answer your questions.
I had some problem with the system don't remember what.
So I tried to repair by inserting the XP sp2 CD.
Since there is no selection for repair I select setup and I remember that in the middle of copying files it stop and went to the beginning and again I select setup and it could be that I did this 5 times I finally gave up and quit.

And when I reboot that is when I get the choice of setup or just running XP home. Vacunita helped me with this problem, now it boots normal except I now have the multiple windows files.
That is the story behind.
Thanks

OK - that makes sense now.

Most likely it is the .5 directory that is the current working folder. To be sure click Start, click Run, type %windir%, and then click OK. The current windows folder should open. Remember the folder that is opened. For example, the folder may be C:\Windows.5

You can trash all the others.
I suggest to be on the safe side you simply delete the folders (and say yes to the warning prompts) Then leave it a few days before emptying the recycle bin - that way you can recover any files you do need from the recycle bin if it becomes necessary.

I still think you may be better off doing a fresh clean install if the computer hasn't seen much work in the way of updates and software installations.

Thanks everyone
Stduc the good folder/file is WINDOWS the rest I just delete
and it seems to run OK.
Firefox takes 50 seconds to open and IE TAKES 14 SECONDS
On my W98 firefox opens almost immediately.

I had run regcleaner but no improvement.

Anyway thanks for the help

linney
i will do your suggestions
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back