Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many recordsets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marthirial

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2005
US
I am working with a ASP page that displays lists of records according to a keyword. The page has 3 or more lists but the records being displayed are coming from the same table, so I am filtering with this keyword in a repeated region.

Now I don't know if there is an issue with having so many recordsets (15 in some cases) for the same table or if there is a way to display the same recordset sorted in different ways in the same page by keywords.

Thanks.

Marthirial,

Can you provide us with some code or an example of what you are trying to do. Generally speaking you won't need to have multiple record sets for the same database query as you can just manipulate what is dragged out of the recordset.

If you can show us what you are trying to do and give examples it will be a lot easier for answers.

All right, here is in more detail what I am doing:

I have a page film.asp (ASP/SQL). The table filmList has this columns
Title - Year - Keyword

In film.asp I have several columns where I will display filmList records in different ways. FOr example:

Films about war:
record 1
record 2
record 3

Films about love
record 1
record 2

now the filtering is being made by using LIKE in the keywords (WHERE moviekeywords LIKE "war"

The only way I found logic to this was by creating/filtering/sorting the same table as many times I need to arrange the records in different keywords.

Hope this works better explaining.

post your asp code

also i'm not sure what your question is, what do you want accomplish

try using 2 tables

tblFilms

tblFilmCategories

amd have a many-to-many relationship since a film can be in more than 1 category

and each category can have many films

then join the 2 and query what you need

BSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back