Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many open files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARRYODEA

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
We have an application running on a Windows peer-to-peer network. All the workstations access both the application and the files on a common 'server.' Everything works fine until we get up to about 22 workstations. After that, anyone trying to run the application gets a DOS ERROR 83 as soon as the program trys to open a bunch of files.

It seems like the 'server' is having trouble opening files after some limit is reached. Is there some limit anyone knows of, and is there any way around it?

This has been driving me crazy for quite a while.

Thanks,
Larry

Not shure if the problem is "too many open files". First of all: Which Win version are you running, or there are a mix of them around the network. For example Windows ME requires a different management of the environment for Clipper to work (no more config and autoexec). Second: INT 24H interrupt fail (reported as dos error 83 by Clipper), seems much likely to be a difficult to access the DRIVE of the "server", not only the files. How is configured that drive?
Maybe this lines will help. Regards, and good luck.

It's a mix of W95/98 machines with the server being W98. And I agree, it seems the server is overloaded or something. We haven't done anything to 'configure' the drive. What do you have in mind? Has the server reached some kind of 'maximum number of open files', or something? If so, how can that be increased? Each time a workstation starts up, it opens about 45 files. That's about 1000 files (45 x 22 workstation) the server (NETBIOS?) is managing. It seems that it dies when another workstation trys to open another 45 files.

Any ideas?

Peer-to-peer tops out after about 10 workstations.
I am surprised that you have managed to increase to
twice that number before experiencing your problem.

I recommend that you invest in a proper network
server approach using NOVELL Small Business Server
or LINUX or similar. LINUX is cheaper but you need
to find someone local to you with the skills (and
depth of personnel) to support you adequately.
NOVELL Small Business (25 user licence) may be
more appropriate to you needs... and you get the
added value from their considerable range of 'free'
utilities such as GROUPWISE (for email/fax/internet
gateway), ORACLE 9i, McAfee server antivirus, etc...
NOVELL would cost around $US2000 and another $US1500
for installation and setup. (I have just done this
very thing for a client with 13 workstations and
my CA-CLIPPER apps are working like a dream!!!)

Hope this helps,
Jim

I have been using clipper since 1989, your problem sounds strange but I will like to know what code you are using to open the file.

I will advice you to run it on Novell netware, if it continues, them it might be from the codes not just enviromental settings.

Since it is win 95/98, why can't you increase the file handlers in config.sys of the each of the stations to probably 60 or above.

What is the system's memory size?

Get back to soon.

Mark-Frolic

Yo tuve ese problema, y efectivamente, W98/W95 tienen una limitación (por diseño) de 1024 ficheros abiertos de forma simultanea en una sola máquina.

Para resolverlo, la unica alternativa que me dejo Microsoft fue actualizar a Windows NT, y por cierto, ya no hay más problemas (excepto lo que cuesta !!!).

Saludos.

I had this problem. W98/95 have a limitation: 1024 files open simultaneously in a PC.

To resolve this problem, Microsoft "recommend" us buy NT/2000 Sever.

Hope this helps

Manuel J. López

I agree with ARAINFOR, that's the most probably problem, forget int24h failure and so (becouse of drive access problems). I Think he's right.
More suggestions ??

This just in folks. I've been trying to get Microsoft to tell me what the problem could be. Below, is their final word on the matter (looks like I'm cooked):

You see, Widows 98 and Windows 9x operating systems are designed as a network client system, based on my extensive research, Windows 9x is target at the client system not the network server system when it was designed, the limitation of the in bound connection and out bound connection is hard coded in the operation system in order to ensure the Windows 9x system can work correctly as a network client system, we can not guarantee Windows 9x system can work properly as a server in a network when there is a large number of connection at the same time, only the network server operating system can provide this capability of large number of connection at the same time.

Microsoft has confirmed this particular issue to be a hard-coded limitation in Windows 9x system.

Hi
I had this problem on an NT network. In the Error system code I tested for retries - and it seemed to work - here's the bit of code I used.

FUNCTION MyError( objError )
Do Case
Case objError:genCode == .and. objError:canDefault .and. neterr()
Return (FALSE) // default recovery
Case objError:genCode == EG_PRINT .and. objError:canRetry .AND. objError:tries < 25
Return (TRUE) // Retry operation
Case ObjError:eek:sCode == 83 .and. objError:canRetry .AND. objError:tries < 25
Return (TRUE)
Case ObjError:eek:sCode > 88 .and. objError:canRetry .AND. objError:tries < 25
Return (TRUE)
Otherwise
Return Err_BTError( ObjError )
Endcase
Return nil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search