Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many memory variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geland

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2006
US
I am using Visual Foxpro 6.0. I bought a new computer which a AMD Sempron 3400+. Everytime I run my DOS app i get an error saying "Too many memory variables". I believe this is because of the CPU usage upto 100% when i run the program. I change the sensivity already under MISC tab of the application, change files = 90, increased physical and extended memory on the app, downloaded tame, but did not fix the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help

Thanks Myearwood. But that didn't fix the problem. I wonder if it is physical issue. Never had a problem on this before till i got the AMD's.

Turn off hyper threading (HT) if you are running it.

1. VFP6 is not DOS application. What "DOS" application do you run?
2. Does "Too many memory variables" come from FoxPro or from OS?

JanBucek
Im sorry its foxpro 2.6. The error comes from Foxpro not OS. Thanks

In re 100% CPU usage while running FxoPro DOS app: download (author tchvatal@ezop.cz) and launch it just before launching FoxDOS app, for example in batchfile. I have tested it in Win2K/XP, it decreases CPU usage down to cca 1-3 %.

Geland,
is your config.fp (with mvcount and mvsize)
in current working directory ?
Tesar

Tesar,
Yes config.fp is with mvcount and mvsize in current directory and i already increased the size. i have a feeling its the CPU

In case your appl. is an ".app", and you run "foxpro.exe", try "foxprox.exe" (the extended version).

Geland,
list memory to file mymemory.txt
wait wind "See file.."
or simply
disp memo
as first commands, and an appropriate places,
say you if your commands are accepted...
Tesar

Geland,
is ntvdm.exe in new identical with older instalation ?
Try change command.com / cmd.exe to run foxpro and see disp memo..
Tesar

As said above, use command.com (the colorful MSDOS icon) rather than cmd.exe (the black icon).

To get Compatibility Mode (right click on icon, select Properties) you should use Command.com not Cmd.exe. Also try adjusting the Idle sensitivity in the Misc tab in Properties and slide it more towards the right, the high setting.

Geland, try putting a memlimit statement in your config.fpw statement

Code:
memlimit = 16384,100,100

This will allocate 16meg of ram to use and the max and min you can use of it is 100%.

Also look for you Config.NT file in the windows\system32 folder. bump up the files from 40 to 100.

All this stuff works for me in FoxPro for DOS - it might work for FoxPro for Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back