Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2001
US
I have too many forms in 1 VB project. I am trying to create a testing type of software based on chapters of a book. Since each question varies in size and shape, it is almost impossible for me to do dynamic (I'm still a big novice too all this).

Is there a way that I can break down the chapters to load from other files (such as DLLs or EXEs or whatever) so that if I update 1 chapter I only have to send out the updated file and not the whole stinking exe again?

Example:
I have 15 Chapters. Chapter 1 has 42 questions. I want to be able to place Chapter 1 Questions in a separate module so that when it is time for that module to be updated I can just send out the updates for Chapter 1 and not all 15 chapters which the end user already has?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you could pplace each chapter into its own dll. Then just call the appropriate dll from the main app. That would also make updates a bit easier and reduse the size of your exe.

Thread708-617327 can show you how to call a dll from VB.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

Will this also work for MDI Child forms or do I have to call them specially?

(Sorry, I forgot to put in this vital piece of information)

I don't know, I have never tried to do that. I usually call the form specifically.

Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

If you go the dll route you will have to maintain compatible interfaces in each version of a dll or the exe will have to be recompiled too.

Having compiled the first version of a dll, set project compatibilty to binary and specify the dll you've just compiled. Providing you only add new interfaces and don't alter or delete existing ones, you shouldn't have to recompile the exe after recompiling the dll.

Paul Bent
Northwind IT Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back