Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too many Fonts!!! Illustrator slowing down 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvarobarroso

Technical User
Apr 24, 2006
GB
I recently added a lot of fonts in Illustrator (about 4000)
and it makes the start of the program eternal, and some other work slow as well, is there any way to solve this? (a part from deleting some of the fonts, I guess)
Thanx

Al

Try investing in a font manager, like Suitcase ( That way, you can access fonts as you need them on a temporary basis, rather than installing them all.

I'll try that soon(as soon as I start getting paid)in the meantime,I'll select the 1000 I need/like the most and keep the rest in another location...
Thanx a lot

...if on a mac os x, check out linotypes free font manager, pretty good application this, i have replaced extensis suitcase with this application now...

andrew

Hi again, I've tried suitcase in trial version, and althought it makes it easy to find preview and group fonts, it doesn't make much of a change with Illustrator itself, it takes a good 4 minutes to start the program and when u want to open the font menu, it takes ages as well. I've moved all the fonts to windows>fonts folder,(initially I installed them in the Illustror>font folder, and I think that was the main casue for slowing donw Illustrator), I am doing something wrong?

Al

...keep fonts away from your system folders and application folders, it is good practice to only keep the very basic fonts installed in the system areas. Fonts such as Courier, Monaco, Geneva, Symbol are regarded as basic system fonts...

...for anything else use fonts as you need them with a font manager such as suitcase...

...it isn't a surprise it is taking an age if you are having thousands of fonts active...

...here is a list of font managers out there you can try out...

andrew

I usually keep most of my fonts in a folder on the desktop so they can't interfere with the system or any particular application. I then use my font manager to activate them as I need them.

I do the same thing blueark - fonts are located in a Fonts Library folder (generated by Font Doctor - part of Suitcase) on my desktop. Only the basic fonts are kept elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back