Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Many Files Open???????? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpan

Programmer
Oct 16, 2002
IN
I have a FoxPro application that makes use of many files. I have converted this application into an exe format. Now whenever, I try to open up this exe application, I get the error message saying "Too Many Files Open".

To avoid this, I was told by someone to create a config.sys file (I am working on Windows 2000 & since Windows 2000 doesn't make use of config.sys, I had to manually create it) with the following text:

FILES=125
BUFFERS=50

which will take care of the error thrown in FoxPro. I rebooted the system but again when I tried to open the exe application (that had the FoxPro files), I again got the same error. How do I get rid of this error & ensure that the exe application gets executed as desired?

Please note that Windows is saved in my D:\ & hence I saved the config.sys (which I had created manually) in this drive. But when I executed sysedit from the Run command (which can be accessed by clicking the Start button on the taskbar), when it tried to load config.sys, I got the error as 'Cannot open this file'. So I even saved the config.sys file in my C:\. But still the "Too Many Files Open" comes up when I try to execute the exe application!!!!!

Thanks,

Arpan

HI Arpan,

1. If your are using Win95/Win98 or DOS.. config.sys file holds the FILES=nnn statement. probably, if 125 is not enough, you can set that to a higher value. Also make sure the FILES=nnn statement does not appear again in your config.sys.. down below what you have specified already. This will override the previous line. Example..

Config.sys
FILES=225
BUFFERS = 20
etc statements..

2. If you are using WinMe... then.. click on the link down below to see how to set that..
WinMe - Setup to solve Too Many Files Open Error
faq182-608

3. If it is WinNT or W2000... then..
reach the CONFIG.NT in the directory..
D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT
then change the values for FILES=225. The default is 20.

Hope this will solve your problem.:). If it doesnt, please specify the operating system and more of your system to understand and provide the correct answer.

Hope this helps you :)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com

Hi arpan:
I think you can edit the config.nt under c:\winnt\system32. the same goes for Winnt 4 and W2K.

Hope it helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back