Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

too many fields defined - error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shusha

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
CA
HI there,

The person who designed the db, I am currently working with, has a table that comes up with this message when I try to save it "Errors encountered while saving". She had added some fields to the existing table and kept working on it.. and now when i try to save it, it comes up with this message "Too many fields defined".. Is there something wrong with this table.. if i remove the auto track option then i am able to save it with the new fields.. pls. help. i am stuck and wld like to proceed with the use of the table.. is it safe to use it..

thanks in advance..
usha

You cannot have more than 255 fields in a table so a good start is to see how many fields there are in the table. If you have no more than this then come back and we will think some more.

Savil

Hi Savil .. there are 235 fields in thsi table. it is a research questionaire.. thks
So i have not gone past the 255 fields.. help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usha

Although you have not hit the 255 limit you are fairly close to it. The 255 limit is Microsofts documented number although I feel anything above 100 is dangerous ground and anything can happen. Could you not split this table into several smaller tables and relate them? Not only will it be easier to manage but you should notice a significant performance gain.

Savil

Savil,

A lot of the projects tables are large size.. i do not see any performance deteoration as the fields are fairly compact size.d most of them are y/n fields, and the numeric ones are anywhere in the range of 0 - 999.. also, i have had large sized tables.. some of the fields here are related and are display fields that display information based on the entry of data - showing if the client has a syndrome or diagnosis.. so i cant split them if possible.
i have worked with tables as large as 225 and had no problems.. so i am concerned as to why the table is hiccuping. i found 20 of her fields started with the word code, liek code01, code02 and this created auto index for some reason.. so i removed it and am now able to save it.. but the auto track has to remain unchecked..
does this make sense to u.. :)
usha

When i turn the auto track option ON, it tells me "Property value is too large">> so i am two conflicting messages..

i know this msg means somethign wrong with defining field size?? am i right??

usha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back