Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Many Alarms for the Same Trap

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkLips

ISP
Jan 27, 2004
US
I have configure my router to send SNMP traps to NNM when an interface goes down. I get the traps in my alarm browser (ie. OV_IF_Down). But I get 5 alarms for the same event. Is there a way to stop this? Is there a way to tell NNM to just send 1 alarm per event?

Windows 2K Server
NNM v6.2

Thanks,
Nicole

Hi,

Are you getting the event displayed on 5 different lines in the event browser, or are they being shown under one correlated event ?

NNM is supposed to correlate duplicate events within short time-frames.

Nigel Bowden

Nigel,
Yes..I am getting 5 different lines in the event browser.

You say that NNM is supposed to correlate duplicate events within a short time-frame. Are there variables that I can set to have it alarm just once? I can send you a screenshot if you want. This is driving me nuts:)
Sorry I'm new to NNM.

Thanks,
Nicole

Hi,

Configuring the correlation side of things is not a trivial task...here's a shorter way of achieving what you are after.

Have a look at the following manual :
If you look on page 340 & 347, you will see details of a file called dedup.conf. It will help you to correlate similar events in to one entry in the event viewer. The process for configuring it is in the manual, and you might like to look at the online reference pages in your NNM GUI for 'dedup.conf' for even more details on how to set it up.

In summary, you put details of the SNMP trap in to dedup.conf and it should ensure that all similar events are correlated under the most recent duplicate event.

HTH

Nigel Bowden

Thanks Nigel. I owe you one. Let me read up on the pdf. Hopefully, it's not over my head (I'm a blonde).

Thanks,
Nicole

Nigel,
I have NNM v6.2 and I can't locate the dedup.conf file. Is it a file that should already be there? The ECS is too complicated. I'm sooo fustrated right now:-(

Thanks,
Nicole

Is there a way I can upgrade to NNM v6.4? Since this version has the dedup.conf file. I can't seem to find the software anymore since it's old. We don't have to money to upgrage to v7.

Thanks,
Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back