Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Too Long Syncronizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmmagow

Technical User
Jan 2, 2002
US
HPOV6.2 PSOV_03184 installed Solaris 8 patched.
Did a rediscover of the entire network after maintenance, not due to any problem, just routine re-build. Anyway, my map now seems to stay in the syncronizing state way too long after I move things around. Sometimes stays that way for 30 to 60 mins. What's going on? What is map sync and what controls this process? Should I do some form of database cleanup although things look pretty good. Any advise greatly appreciated.

Hi,

A lot of HP OV performance problems (map synchronizing, slow loading event browser) are caused by misconfiguration of DNS.

Have you changed the setting of /etc/nsswitch.conf during your re-build, or may your /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't point to your name server any more ?

Have a look at this for lots more info on getting your DNS/hosts file set up correct :
HTH

Nigel.

If you have not done so already, consider making the NNM server a "caching only" name server. Lookups will then be to the local machine, not across the network...

--bl

We had the same problem (on Win2k), it was absolutely a DNS problem.

Try this command (if available on unix) "checkdns.ovpl" located in the \openview\support directory (on Win2k). It will do a DNS lookup on all devices OV knows about and will indicate which are not translating fast enough.

Pete

Try to set up the OV NNM box without DNS and see the results.
Due to the unpredictability of DNS while being fed off of another platform that is not under your control, I would recommend that you do not run with DNS at all.
I have found that a script which populates an /etc/hosts table and shutting off DNS has resolved SOOOO many problems, it is unbelievable!
EMS Architect

My problem is with Cisco and Comm Devices and interfaces. I am in the process of creating entries in my Host file (w2k) on my NNM server.

Also: You can run a check dns command from a CMD prompt to find your problem devices. Look up checkdns.ovpl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back