Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tons of IMS queued messages with no originator--spam? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERake

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
I am seeing a lot of messages in my outbound queue going to addresses that look spammy, but they have no originator. Where are they coming from?? Thank you.

Hi mike,
our queue is building, and we have to clear it out all the time. this problem started 3 weeks ago and has not stopped. all the messages are junk mail, but I am not sure if someone is sending it to us or if its just ndr's building up and then clearing up. our hard drive has filled up and stop the exchange a few times. there has to be someone out there who know why this is happening. I will let you know how we are doing and if anyone out here can help please let me know.

thanks

I had the same problem. It started during the second week of july. what i did :

1) The spammer sends out mail as an authenticated user i came across these usernames
admin
root
webmaster
data
server
test
So i created these usernames and put a strong password and when the spammer was trying to authenticate failed.
This stopped the relayig problem but i still have a lot of failed authentication attempts.

2) I used easy to guess or to remember passwords because the users of my network are people who dont know much about computers and long funny passwords confused them. I changed that. Now we use only strong passwords. There are several programs that might help you generate good passwords.

3) i disabled the guest account. I DIDNT delete it.

4) I deleted accounts that previous administrators had left in the server.Actually there is no reason for more than 2 admin accounts.the ordinary and a backup. I found about 5 or 6 in the server.

5) READ these links they are VERY important. As you ll see there is a flaw in the SMTP service in Exchange 5.5 either on winnt4.0 or win 2000, that allows someone outside your company to authenticate as a user of your company and send out mail. The fix was released AFTER Sp4 for exchange 5.5 so even if you have sp4 installed youre still affected by the flaw.

Microsoft says that if you install the fix you re ok. But i m sure that it was a combination of all these steps that stopped the spam from passing through my server.
I STILL have many failed authentication attempts but it looks like everything is working fine now.I even deleted the accounts that i created to stop the spammer from authenticating and although he is trying to connect he fails.
SMTP service is working fine.If you want to stop even the connection attempts my best bet is to ban the ips on a firewall or a router .I tried with the firewall and it worked. But i dont wanna go through that cause i m afraid i might cut off legitimate mail.

Finally if for some reason you dont want to do anything from what i have described or you just want to increase even more the security on your server you can go to exchange administrator.open the properties for the internet mail service and you ll see a tab called delivery restrictions. It has 2 columns one says accept mesgs from and the other reject mesgs from. Put all your legitimate domain users in the accept mail from list, apply , restart ims and you re done.Even if someone authenticate as a domain user he wont be on your accept mail from list so his mail is automatically rejected.

I hope it works out for you guys as it did for me.
good luck
george

Thanx George for that thread,

I will look a little more closely at the user accounts and change to strong passwords to see if that curbs the number of emails being generated. Unfortunately I cannot apply the latter half of the thread as my client needs to recieve a lot of email that is generated from his website, so I can't possibly know where the "legitimate" mail might come from.

I have applied the SP4 patch, but not specifically the first two patches that you have placed in your thread, looking at the dates of the Microsoft bulletins I would hope that they would have been rolled up into the bigger service packs. Maybe I'll just run them to be sure.

Very appreciative,
Mike

Thanks George,

The spammer was using my old 'admin' account. Once i put a password on it, restarted the server, the spamming 'relayed' e-mails stopped. Now, the event log gets full with unauthorized access errors for 'admin' but i just configured the event log to clear itself as necessary to avoid the 'event log is full' dialog box. Hopefully, the spammer will get tired and stop trying to access my server.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back