Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tone failure on G650 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoSpark

MIS
May 28, 2003
NG
I have a G650 with 2 IPSIs for high reliability. Sometimes, tones on all extensions seize and all i have is power to the phones but no tone. Within 2 minutes.....everything returns to normal with no alarms on the gateways and the duplicated servers(S8700).
Although it occurred once and there was an alarm on the backup IPSI card. The alarm was on ETR-PT and it was cleared as instructed in the documentation. After this, it occurred again and there were no alarms

What can be done to permanently rectify this?

you might have to change the IPSI cards. Have you checked the firmware to make sure its OK.

If you have firmware 13 of the IPSI, put R12 on it.

Avaya has brought out an alert that you should not use release 13.

Thanks i'll work on that. I have firmware 13.

Thanks for th info.

Thanks ewaaijenberg.I have seen the alert......The firmware has been changed to R12 & everything is working fine.

After the downgrade to R12, the problem started again about two days later. It has occured twice at the same time everyday....What can be wrong again?

Did you click "Activate IPSI Upgrade" and did the cabinet re-boot ?

Yes i clicked "Activate IPSI upgrade and the cabinet reboot. The present firmware shows R12.

make a note of the current active IPSI eg. 01a and if it occurs again set IPSI 01b active. If this problem seizes then IPSI 01a is faulty and should be replaced if not and the problem still exists with IPSI 01b as well then there could be a config problem on the switches. All speed settings should be forced to 100M and full duplex on the control LANS

EchoSpark, did you get this sorted out. I have heard from reliable source that IPSIs that are HW11 have got a problem that Avaya can't fix. Its internal and there are no fixes at present. Do you get packet losses when you pin the IPSIs. If you the card is faulty and until Avaya identify which batch of cards have a fault, they won't announce it. We are changing our IPSI tomorrow night hoping we have one of the good batch. Will let you know.

Yes I had a similar problem with a new site one IPSI was HW12 the other was HW11 seems the HW11 board was causing the problem. Presently I have the HW11 board removed and am sending it back to Avaya to be replaced with HW12.

Also I upgraded the IPSI's FW from 12 to 21 and had power supply and SER-BUS alarms in the G650 Cabinets so went back to FW12.

Replace your HW11 IPSI's I still don't know why Avaya have not put out a PCN to replace HW11 IPSI's.

Aaarhh!

Here is an extract of an email with upgrading the IPSI FW 12 to 21 from Avaya.

Here is the Tier 4 word on this problem and when it's fixed.

From ;

This is an issue with false power supply alarms against 655A power units in a G650. The alarm starts after a firmware upgrade of the TN2312BP IPSI board that performs the maintenance function for the power units, i.e. 'A'-carrier IPSI board.
This is NOT a hardware or firmware fault. It is an incomplete reset of the maintenance function on the board.
To clear the alarm, issue the command : reset maint XX, where XX=the PN # w/ alarm.
This is a fixed in CM 3.0 by MR defsw050966. This will not be patch in previous CM loads as the patch must be a cold patch. The reset maint command is less severe.

Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 2:49 PM
To: Enterprise Tier3; Enterprise CFET; RTS Alarms Denver Team
Subject: power alarms after upgrading IPSI to FW21

6/28/05

Team: After IPSIs are upgraded to FW21, power &/or ring generator alarms may occur in G650 cabinets. The power supply will show as "no board" but the cabinet is fully functional.

To clear the alarms run a "reset maintenance" command from the SAT.

T4 is aware of the problem. A later release of CM will correct the problem.

Cheers

Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back