Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tomcat randomly crashing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanabdba

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
US
this is the error:

An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0xFF36B9E0
Function=_mutex_lock+0x0
Library=/usr/lib/libthread.so.1

any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Might need a bit more info !
Ie,
What code are you executing when this occurs ?
What tomcat version ?
What JRE/SDK are you using (and version) ?

What code are you executing when this occurs ?siebel reporting tool (i believe c++)
What tomcat version ?4.1.24
What JRE/SDK are you using (and version) ?1.4.1_05 b01, mixed mode

I hope this helps.

>>> siebel reporting tool (i believe c++)

So you are calling that via a Runtime.exec() or via JNI ? Which ever, I would say this is not tomcat barfing but the external process that is causing a memory fault in the process spawned from tomcat, and cascading to its paraent process (ie tomcat)

Thank you for the information. Do you have any suggestions on how to test for the problem? I'm assuming you mean the reporting tool is causing the problem, correct? Thank you again!

Well, depends on how you are calling the external-VM code. I asked in my previous reply whether you are using JNI or Runtime.exec() to call this, but you have not specified ...

If you are using Runtime.exec() you may test the exit status but not much else, via

Code:
try {
  Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("a.exe");
  int exitCode = p.waitFor();
  if (exitCode != 0) {
    // problems
  }
} catch (IOException ioe) {
  ioe.printStackTrace(System.err);
}

Above that, you will not really be able to debug external-VM programs via Java - you will need to debug the actual external code (if possible ?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back