Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tomcat + DBCP + encrypted connection parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenn

Technical User
Nov 9, 2000
DE
Hi folks,

running tomcat with DBCP works fine so far, but i'd like to prevent admin-users or whoever to read out connection-parameters from my server.xml file.
a neat solution might be storing the encrypted db passwords somewhere and initialising the dbcp-pooling manually - does anyone have a clue on how to get this done?
i found vague hints about BasisDataSource.addCinnectionProperty but simply don't get the clue...

any advice appreciated!

thanks in advance.,

chenn

regards
chenn

Thanks sedj,
but I was aware of these sources.
I'd like to have Tomcat manage the datasource but however initialize them when my app needs them. that means get the connection info from encrypted property files instead of putting plain text connection info in server.xml.
as far as i can see, the tomcat's JNDI context is read-only, so i'd have to write my own datasources?!

regards
chenn

Your choices ASFAIK are either write your own datasource, or get rid of DBCP and use another pooling system which does support password encryption.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back