Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tomcat and Apache 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanpierre

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
Is Tomcat a server like Apache?

Tomcat is a Web Container for Java Servlets and JSP pages. In fact is the official reference implementation for these technologies. Tomcat can function as an full HTTP Server as well but most people have a separate HTTP Server such as Apache or IPlanet proxy requests to Tomcat.

wushutwist,
I didn't know that Tomcat was an HTML server (admittedly I don't know much about tomcat)why is it that most people use Apache to serve the HTML and Tomcat to serve the JSP's, if Tomcat could be used independantly?

Tomcat is JSp and Servlets Container.Apache is very efficent in hadling http requests and responses.

Yes I agree that it is a cumbersome to keep html pages in htdocs of apache and route to tomcat for business processings.

Instead.

If u r thinking of apache and tomcat both i have suggesstion create war as per the project name and keep it at tomcat and keep everything in tomcat .

But when ever request is coming handle through apache.

Use MVC to match this pattern.

U will see the difference and it is pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back