Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TokenRing(16M)--->Ethernet(1G) ¦¦{migration 'stratgy'}

Status
Not open for further replies.

XoverIP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2000
US
I have an associate who currently has 16M ToR wired through out an enterprise size network w/ (2) rings of fiber ((1) for redundancy) connecting the backbone. They are interested in [eventually] moving to all Gigabit Ether...however....in terms of budget and limitations...they would like to take on gradual approach:Gbit Enet where users need it n-o-w...while leaving some printers and misc. on the ToR. Can anyone point me in the direction of some doccumented case studies....or recommedations....suggestions..etc?

thankz in advance for any/all your help!

skoobz [sig][/sig]

I would invest in a decent router from cisco that can to token-ring to ethernet converting and vice-versa. From there, I would invest in catalyst switches, possibly with routing capabilities (if you decide to do a vlan structure or independent sub networks, this will be required. The catalyst 6509 is kind of high end, but something along those guidelines would do a good job. From there, interconnect the ethernet and token-ring through the router, and start migrating... of course, there is some high level configuration that needs to take place on the router and new ethernet switches etc, and some static routes may need to be plugged into the token ring side to talk to the router correctly. Planing, Planning, Planning

HTH

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

much-ose gracias, senior

precciate yer input

s[<0obZ

Cisco has a really good document on there site about migrating to ethernet from Token Ring, I am currently doing it know and ive purchased and installed the backbone aspects and am ready to put users in live. Pop us an email if you still need help and I will gladly share my experience with you.

Juggyv@aol.com

Is the physical plant ready for gigabit? what kind of cables (STP-A?, cat 3?, cat5, cat5e, cat 6?, fiber?) are being used? How are cables terminated (IBM connectors?, 66 block?, 110 punch-down (old style or new style)?, RJ45 straight-thru? Krone?)? What are the cable lengths (gig over copper is not tolerant of cable lengths over 100 meters)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back