Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Token Ring to Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS2002

Programmer
Mar 27, 2002
US
I have a IBM 9304 236 that we have upgraded to an AS400 I need to connect this to an Dell server via ethernet. Do I need a bridge of some kind? Also am using new IBM PC that take the 1/2 cards, what do I need for them. Any help would be gratly apprciated. Thanks

I know a firm who mistakenly got a Cisco 2612 router with ethernet, token ring and WAN interfaces, should you decide you need that much of a converter I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Jim, I am fairly new at this connecting AS400 via token ring, ethernet. What would I need for the PC's or would I use Client Access to connect PC's to the AS400? Sorry that I am so uninformed.

Hello Sirs,

Right you have an Ethernet side and a token ring side I assume. You have a AS400 and you want to get traffic over to the Ethernet side? From what I read It looks like you only need to get to the Dell server? Is this correct? If so what protocol do you use? IP SNA? If its IP then get a TR card and install it into the DELL Server and install NT Workstation onto the PC. Give one IP range to the AS400 and the Token ring card (plugged into MAU) and give the second range to the Ethernet card on the Dell and enable IP forwarding this should allow you to route to the AS400 via the NT box. If you are using SNA You will have a bigger headache and I would look firmly at moving the protocol to be IP. Another option is to get an Ethernet card for the AS400 its a little more expensive but a much better option all around but remember you will need to reverse the address. Let me know how you get on..

If what you run is IP I would go for a router based connection except if it realy only is Dell server you need connected.
Making a bridge from TokenRing to Ethernet is in general not a good thing.
A router will work wounders and it's easy to handle.

/johnny

Its still beating away mission critical systems all over although I think its fair to say its generally finding the bin instead of reinvestment and gigabit ethernet is running for the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back