Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To whom it may concern 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

svanels

MIS
Aug 18, 1999
SR
Yeterday I received a CC of an e-mail to some of my subordinates from an internal client with exactly the header To whom it may concern. He had some grieves in it, some cover own (a..)stuff subjects, and maybe 30% things that after analyzing clearly indicate communication problems.

He sends it to, 3 of my subordinates, his boss, his co-workers and I got CC.

My staff finds the guy rude, and is ready to lynch him, I suspect that they read the header, were pissed-off, and did not care to read any further.

Are they over-sensitive?

I think with the ease of sending e-mail, people first look at in this sequence:
1)The header
2) To who it is sent
3) Who is the sender

and already know what it is all about, and have their opinion formed.

Sometimes I long for the good old days, when there was no e-mail and you could make use of guerilla techniques to get things done.

My favourite was the fake cc:
You have an employee who is not cooperating, and you do not have direct influence on him. In other words you are not his boss and you know that the going to his boss procedure would make things worse somewhere down the lane.
I would write the guy a nice letter, stressing that his input was very important for the success of overall company objectives. Remind him that on such date contact was made with him, but failed.
and.. at the end of the letter
CC: your boss

Which of course never saw the letter, but that he wouldn't know anyway.

100% cooperation guaranteed.

What is your first impression of header like this?

Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

CajunCenturion, I never had this problem, used the fake cc only twice (not on the same person) long time ago, and on "idiots" who didn't write anyway.

My bosses are the type: "tell me when, don't tell me why, if you can't do it, I will..."

I think after that the word was spread "He writes, so do your homework"

Another thrick I learned from my mentor, "goes always with a piece of paper, and documents, when you meet with the boss" (we were not a paper-pushing organization). He called it camouflage.

I still use it, but with usefull information, when facing other "gods" outside my environment, it takes the b.s. right out the conversation, and you will notice directly if they are prepared or not.

Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

If sending a fake cc: is dishonest, is sending a bcc: also "dishonest"?

Now this is a good ethics question. In fact, every time I use a bcc:, which is not often, I ask myself ethical questions. I am usually able to rationalize it.

Say I'm sending a response to a vendor and my boss wants to be copied, but kept out of the e-mail chain. I don't feel I have an ethical obligation to notify the vendor. There is certainly no expectation of privacy (or there shouldn't be at least).

So I figure it is situational and not a hard line in the sand... as with most ethics questions.

~Thadeus

In my case as a manager, I would ask that the client reframe from emailing my co-workers and deal directly with me. As a manager, it is sometime prudent to run interferance to keep your team focused and working. just an opinion...

Steve Medvid
"IT Consultant & Web Master"

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Good point, Steve. It's always good to have a blocker. The manager can make the call on whether the email deserves further consideration, and the team can focus on analysis and development. One less interruption is always a plus.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'm not as think as you confused I am.
-----------
Flabbergasted (a.): Amazed at how much weight one has gained.
-----------
Oyster (n.): One who sprinkles their conversation with Yiddish expressions.

Got to agree with Thadeus in communication not really being the problem as the listening bit. How often have you heard the phrase
"Yes but ..." the yes is a throw away, "I have listened totally disregarded it and this is the way it should be/is"

My motto

I have two ears and one mouth, I try to use them in that ratio.

[blue]Arguably the best cat skinner around ! [/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back