Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Upgrade or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaudeWSmith

Programmer
Aug 24, 2009
I have been using Borland Builder Pro Ver 5.0 for a long time.

I use it for personal programs and games that I have created. For example: I have a Windows Explorer that beats the heck out of the one supplied by M$. As a learning exercise, I have programed all the UNIX commands to be used in the MSDOS, Win 95, 98, XP Environment. I also have a replacement for the Scheduler which I call CRON which I programed back in the days of Win3.1.

Every once in a while I need help, but all is fine.

I remember, when I switched from Ver 4 to Ver 5 -- There was a major problem with file handling and sound handling. Which I don't want to go through again.

My question - Is there an major advantage to using Ver6 ?

Claude

Version 6 is already outdated. I'm not even certain you can still buy it. The new version is 2009. Borland spun off their programming division and the sold it to Embarcadero. The new version is more compliant to the upcoming C++ standard than version 6 is. Also, the new version will work on Vista (and Windows 7?) better than the older versions will.

If you really do want to just upgrade to version 6, I went from version 5 to 6 without any problems with the possible exception of some standard namespaces. For example, in version 5, I could call getline but in version 6 I had to explicitly add the namespace: std::getline.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I suppose when I move(forced to move) to the next version of M$201X, I will buy ver 2009, but for now. I think that I will stick with Ver5.0.

Thanks for the input.
Huum... Ver 2009 ???

Claude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back