Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Update run the queries everytime ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendor
Feb 15, 2005
DE
Hi Programmers,

I got a problem in updating, i hope that you guys can help me.

I have a linked database and i am applying some queries on the tables to get the
required output. I am using make-table query as well. If there will be any change in
the linked database then should i run every time each query especially make-table query to
get the new changes ? Is it possible to have an automatic update ?
I have tried to work on update query( is it updating only fields ? )

Thanks

if the tables are linked, then the links are all live, so if you query on the linked tables, then it's all uptodate.

however if you are using a make table query, then when that query is run, it extracts the "current" information, and puts it in the local database, or wherever you've specified, however this data is not linked so it's only uptodate to the time when the query was run.

Any particular reason why you'd need to use a make table query, since you've only duplicating information. I'm assuming this isn't for logging since you want the data to be as uptodate as possible...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Thanks for your reply Crowley16

Well, i agree with you. But i have to add some extra data in the linked database, like some
extra tables. For example i have created one table by make-table query, which is part of a
linked tables and some new fields( these new fields will be filled by hand later on) I just
want it that if a new record is entered in the linked tables then it should be on my new table
as well(automatically).
Because i know whenever i will run make-table query again it will delete the records(which
will be added by hand)on my new table.
I hope that you are getting what i mean here.
Any idea to this ?

Thanks again.

I think I see what you mean...

so you have a NewTable in your current db which is derived from a makeTable on linked tables, and you want ANY change in the linked tables to be reflected in the NewTable...

well, in that case, you would need to update the NewTable every time you change anything in the linkedTables.

If the tables are static, then you could try setting up Referential Integrity with cascade delete and updates.

But if the tables aren't static, then you're looking at either
1. reMaking the tables everytime
2. programically updating NewTable everytime a change is made
3. setup regular updates at certain acceptable time intervals...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

It means i got a big problem now, i have to use a bit programming stuff in VBA here, which
is not my thing. i am not good in it at all.
Anyhow thanks for your help Crowley16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back