Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To the "oldies": Question about 4.0 Log Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalecooper

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
DE
What can I do, if the logviewer shows the wrong name for the interface on which a logged event took place?

I checked the firewall object, it has the interfaces correctly named, but the logviewer confuses eth-s3p3c0 and s1p4c0 for example and sometimes it lists an interface named "if9" that's not even there.

Any ideas appreciated

I don't recall seeing that, check great site for CP FW1 4.1. You may want to try recreating the object and doing a get. What does your CP fW sit on? You will want this working properly otherwise it may cause other problems

Thanks for answering. FW-1 is running on a Nokia. I know Phoneboy, of course and the FW-1 mailinglist, but I couldn't find anything there either. I &quot;inherited&quot; this installation and the firewall is working fine, everyone else is just ignoring the interface names, but I consider them important and want to solve this <s>

Do you have support with Nokia? they have a pretty good knowledge base I'll take a look in case you don't, but you may want to get some basic support, even if it's just a one time call. If Checkpoint is not pulling the interfaces correctly then it could lead to other problems.

The Nokia support contract ran out before I started this job. Money is an issue so they didn't renew it *sigh* AFAIK I can sign into the Nokia site as a &quot;customer with a Nokia product&quot; anyway, all they want is the serial number of the box. I'll try that. Thanks again

Ralf

FWIW, I don't trust log viewer. I barely trust fw log -ftn from the command line, but that's another issue :). The only time I confronted anything like this...and it included wrong or imaginary interface names... was when my excessive log grace period (in FW properties) was set too high and I was trying to log too many similar packets. Once I got the settings right for my network (I'm at 9 seconds at the moment), things settled down alot and became more accurate. But then I'm not running on a Nokia, so this input might not help much. Cheers.

Hi! Doesn't this value say that although similar packets are handled by the rulebase, only the first of these packets should be logged within the &quot;grace period&quot;? If I decrease this value I will get MORE log entries per similar packets or am I to tired already today to understand it correctly? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back