Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To SP2 or not to SP2 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsjames

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
US
I just upgraded from VFP 6 to 9. I've been reading the posts regarding SP1 and SP2. Based on the posts, I am unable to determine which service pack to install. Please advise.

SP2 was basicly a Vista fix.
So if you have Vista install SP2, if not install SP1.

David W. Grewe Dave

WSJames,

SP2 fixed about 150 bugs. But it also introduced more than a few new ones. Your decision will depend on how important the fixes are to you.

You can find a list of fixes at:

and:

If you do decide to go to SP2, be sure not to install SP1 first. Just go from the raw 9.0 to SP2.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Craig,
Your correct.
I made a bad assumption.
I Assumed the programmer would have vista on his computer if the app was to be installed on a vista computer.

Should have said "If the app is to be run on Vista Install SP2."

David W. Grewe Dave

I greatly appreciate the responses. But, I am still a bit confused [my apologies].

From the responses, it seems SP2 apps are recommended for Vista systems. I am still unsure as to whether SP2 apps are recommended for XP systems. I think I understand that SP2 does not offer benefit to [XP systems] and that it has integrated additional bugs. Are the bugs specific to Vista?

While I would anticipate that each of you will in the [near] future acquire Vista customers, why would you not upgrade to SP2? ...assuming you have no Vista customers at this time. Is it because of the new bugs Mike mentioned, or do you simply feel "why upgrade before it is necessary?"

Your response will greatly help me determine which patch to install.

Thank you again.

WSJames,

I can understand your confusion.

In general, I would advise always to use the latest version and the latest SP. Even without the Vista issues, I would say go with SP2.

The only reason not to do that would be if you have existing users for whom you have installed VFP runtime libraries for a version below SP2. In that case, you might decide that the effort of upgrading them to the latest runtimes does not justify the extra benefits of the latest patch.

But since you've only just upgraded from 6.0, that won't be a problem for you.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Mike, that helped tremendously.

Thanks to all again,

Willard

Just to clarify a little more, SP2 fixes lots of bugs that affect both XP and Vista. It also includes some fixes for Vista-specific issues. Unfortunately, it also introduced some new bugs that impact XP and Vista. You can find a list of those issues at
If none of those items are issues for you, going to SP2 is a no-brainer. Even if some of them are issues for you, if you have users on Vista, the Vista fixes probably outweigh the new bugs.

Tamar

I often wonder why "new bugs" are a showstopper for people. There are always new bugs to be expected in a new version or service pack, not only in such a complex system as a programming language. At most times the fixes of old bug outweigh new bugs. Bug reports let people focus on the thought of "I don't want that bug, so I don't go for that service pack". But do you know the list of bugs of your current version?

If you know your app is working and you don't need any of the fixes SP2 gives you, you can argue "never change a running system". But often enough that will lock you where you are. If you start with VFP9, it's best to start with SP2.

Bye. Olaf.

Hi craigber,

true, even if we would talk about a grown system in maintainance phase that runs for years at your customer and you know it's stable, if you don't move to the newest SP for that reason, you might also never move to any newer version at all. In retrospective it's the reason there still some DOS apps.

Mostly a system is unstable when it's new and needs to be cured from it's children's illnesses and when it becomes old. Not updating to new versions or only SPs is leading a system to get old, as it's environment will grow and update. There are bugs that can byte you, even if they did not so far for a long time.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf - I think the big issue with SP2 is that it had such a basic, cosmetic problem (the splash screen) when it was first released. That made people think that the usual standard of care hadn't been exercised and raised concerns about what else might be lurking. Then, when people found new bugs, it fed into those concerns.

Tamar

Hello Tamar,

true, that nonupdated splash screen really made a bad impression. Nevertheless the phenomenon of not upgrading is not unique to VFP9 SP2.

Bye, Olaf.

True, but I think it's worse than with other VFP versions, at least.

Tamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back