Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

to protect a folder in win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeriyurParthi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
IN
how to protect a folder, i need to protect an indidual folder by giving passwords like that,
replies will be helful
parthi

is the pc running on a network

if so go to windows explorer

search for file, right click and chose permissions
and give the relevant people access

thanks ccna i need individual password for each and every folder to access, even if it is also without network, when we click the folder it has to ask for password.
cheers
parthi

thanks anderson
is there any other free utility for the above...
cheers
parthi

There is no real security for Win95/98/ME. All of these OS's use FAT16 or FAT32 file systems. Any knowledgeable person can simply use a boot disk to gain access to the contents of your hard drive from DOS, regardless if you install a Windows app to block access.

If you really want to secure information, consider upgrading to Win2000 or WinXP using NTFS for the file system. Or, you can set a BIOS password so that an the "boot disk" option wouldn't work. However, keep in mind that if a user has physical access to your pc, they could reset the CMOS using jumpers or the battery on the mobo which would bypass your BIOS password!!
:-(

Comment to cdogg : you can disable boot from diskette.
Moreover, program ENFORCER from posum.com can be used
to disable both CTRL+ALT+DEL and shutdown.

PAndersen,

Yes that's true. You can go into the BIOS and disable the floppy drive at bootup. Also, you can set a BIOS password to keep people from changing the settings.

HOWEVER, if we're talking about real[/red] security like at a workplace where anyone can walk up to the pc, then that wouldn't hold up well. No matter what kind of app you install, you can always FORCE a shutdown by holding the power button down until the pc shuts off or simply unplugging the pc. And as I mentioned before, you could reset the BIOS to get rid of the password protecting the floppy drive. Using a boot diskette, you could then gain access to DOS or possibly even safe mode, exposing the disk's contents.

Conclusion: upgrade the file system to NTFS if you want to be sure

If I can offer an alternative... not secure, but effective against the casual idiot...

Make your directories "hidden" "read-only" by using

ATTRIB +H +R [dir name].

(the dot at the end is necessary)

Then allow the appropriate user to access the directory by creating a batchfile which calls the relevant data.

I've used this effectively with users who had high levels of FUD factor.

To work in WIN9x, however, you will have to set file properties to "hide hidden and system files."

Just a thought...

The trouble with makeing the folder hidden is that you can still show all folders from the view/options menu.
If you just want to stop people from accessing your Word/excel files, why not use the password option when saving the doc.

Just a thought....

Why dont you use FLOKI

FLOKI is a folder password protector!

its freewere so its unlimeted use - dosn't run out

this asks for a password when you open a folder! its completely secure i asure you

FLOKI cannot go wrong! it works all the time when my brother tries to get into my file! it even tracks who was tring to access your folder! its Great

its at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back