Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Much Cost!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmwtech

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
US
Does any one know where the best and cheapest place to get XP is? Thanks lmwtech

And currently states cannot charge sales taxes on internet purchases by Federal Law."

Wow, really? In the UK, all internet purchases include VAT at 17.5% like everything else (damn Thatcher put it up and hasn't been lowered since). The only way to get Tax-Free purchases is to import them from Jersey - but even then only items below £18 are tax-free...grrrr...

I dunno how much "Sales Tax" is, but VAT in European Countries is around 5%. Why do we always get royally screwed on everything?! Sigh...

I don't need a copy of anything. I'm just looking for the best deal and so far every price mentioned is at least $20.00 more than I'm currently paying.
lmwtech

@dragonQ0105 -
I dunno how much "Sales Tax" is, but VAT in European Countries is around 5%. Why do we always get royally screwed on everything?! Sigh..

not quite true - in Germany VAT (Sales Tax) is at present 16%, indications are that this will increase once the Christian Democrats get to power in the early upcoming Elections...

@all - How do you tell a Pirated Copy, most are simple, if it comes on a CD-R it's 100% a Pirated copy... if it comes labeled (sticky type) then mostlikely that one aswell... AFAIK, if it doesn't come with the Holographic Genuine Microsoft Sticker, then you can bet your a** that it is pirated...

another thing to watch out for, as bcastner had mentioned in other threads and faqs, is the point about OEM licsences... these are drastically cheaper than the VLK versions...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

POLMafia (TechnicalUser) 4 Jun 05 9:25
go to thats where i get mine

But pricewatch.com isn't an online store. It is a website that collects ads and prices advertised by others and passes the information along. So if you go there and end up buying Windows XP for $10 or $19, I can almost guarantee it is pirated or there is some other catch.

As a general rule, if you buy something (even via the internet) in one state, then sales taxes are not charged - UNLESS the company you are purchasing from has a presence in your state. Then, sales tax must be paid - even though it was purchased from another state - and via the internet.

Again, this is the general rule and should be checked with your particular state.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back