Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To many sets ringing makes trunk cut the line ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MontrealSoft

Vendor
Oct 5, 2002
CA
I recently had a problem when replacing a cics that was at full capacity (8x24) with a MICS. First thing I did after the reinstall to have the system up quickly is to program 221 so all the lines were visible and ringing. Then I copied it to all sets.

Mistake. When a line was ringing, it would only do half a ring and we'd loose it. The customer calling had a fast busy. It took me a while of trying/swapping trunk cartridges before I did a reinstall and noticed if only a few sets were ringing, everything was cool. I programmed it like the cics was (only 5 or 6 sets ringing on the trunks), but I was puzzled and went back there the next day with a voltmeter, only to find out I had 120.0 volts getting in the KSU at all time.

I then remember I had a problem 2 years ago at the same site, one of the line did exactly the same problem, but that time, BELL fixed it (wasn't a ksu problem). At that time only one line did the problem.

Any of you ran into this ? Is there a max number of sets we should have the lines set to ring ? I always though if it was the case, it would be locked by the software, in the same way ringing groups are locked to a max count of sets...

Thank's,

MontrealSoft.com

I have never heard of that happening. If it was happening immediately after programming, I would guess it had something to do with the database not being updated. I have seen problems, especially in earlier versions, with copying line settings. Especially when enabling multiple lines for DS.

That is the version I was referring to. If I remember correctly I had to enable DS one line at a time, exiting and re-entering programming after each change. Otherwise the entire card would lock up- saying no lines available. It happened to me on several 4.x systems.

bk the lines go into a maintenance mode when you change from Non ds to ds. I had a MICS 5.0 (equiv to CICS 4.2) take 15 minutes to clear each line. Newer versions take only 10-20 secs.

As for ringing sets... you should be able to have all sets on a CICS ring. There is a max on the MICS but don't remember what it is.

Had you performed a startup prior to the programming?

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

I personally never recommended all lines to A & R on all sets. This will cause strange things to happen ie this case. I remember an instructor telling me this a long time ago. Just don't remember who and where I read this.

I believe a customer that large should have one central answering position and transfer the calls to the appropriate person.

Nam555

The maximum number of sets configured to ring on same line is 50, this is documented.

I guess this is a problem since the documentation is bad in this case, but I agree that I can't see why a 30 sets+ business would need to have A&R on all the sets.

Maybe the power supply can spit signal to 50 sets at the same time if all conditions are ideal and the p.s. unit itself is 100% on the specs...

I don't think the CAT5E wiring I used for the whole installation could have something to do with it either...

MontrealSoft.com

I've had problems with CICS's somewhat like what you're talking about. We have 6 lines, and they A & R on all 15 sets. If more than 2 lines are ringing at a time, strange things happen (phones don't answer any line when you pick them up, pressing line buttons puts the calls on hold instead of picks them up, rings are delayed and short, rings cut off already-ringing rings. Intercom paths don't give a dial tone). At one point, our frame relay reset causing all 6 lines to ring at once (it does this whenever the VOIP->analog thingy is reset), and it basically froze a few sets on the display "Oct 21 1Calling" with the indicator lights frozen on. This was fixed by unplugging and replugging in the sets. But still. I've known systems to go nuts if its doing too many things at once. (Stupid employees used to go up to a M7310 set and press all the line buttons in a row, sliding their finger down it, watching the display as it frantically picked up each line, hung it up, and went to the next line slowly)

I had a customer who at time I left the company had close to 75 sets A&R the first 8 of their 10 lines (ran out of buttons). They had simply grown slowly past a resonable number of phones to this large number. I was unable to convince them to have the system reprogrammed. Oddly enough there was a central answer position with 2 CAPS and they used call park on a regular basis. The learning curve would have been short.

The only problem I saw with this many sets was the set display was slow to show a line in use (signal 75 sets?), otherwise they were very gentle on the system.

They could have easily used 8 button sets but were always purchasing 10 button sets for the line appearances.

My two cents,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back