Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To make changes to our database, I 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkfairfax

Programmer
May 22, 2001
US
To make changes to our database, I copied the dbf file from the directory over to my personal computer and made the updates that I wanted to in that file. To do this I had to add the table, as a free table, into a new database. {It was more convenient for me to work with the database in this way rather than to shut down our server while I made changes}

My question is now, can I just take this dbf file and put it up to replace the old dbf file (by renaming or deleting from hard drive) on our server, or will I run into problems. Ie. By doing this, will the database be able to open, or will this create index errors, DBC internal consistency errors, etc, or should I experience no problems doing this?

Thank you,

Garry Miller

If the table is identical in structure and the DBC to which it belongs has the same name as your other database and the relative path of the table to the DBC is exactly the same, there should be no problem, unless there would be referential fields in your table that violate the referential integrity when it is added to the other database.

HTH, Weedz (Wietze Veld)
My private project:And especially for VFP rookies:

You'll run into trouble if any of your field names are longer than 10 characters. 'Free'ing the table would've truncated them to 10 characters, so your structure will not be the same as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back