Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To install a network on a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlien

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
To install a network on a computer running Win95 how much memory does one need?

It is a Pentium 75mhz, 8mb ram, 2GB HDD, Netgear FA311 network interface card

If anyone has any idea about this please reply. I networked 3 of my PCs together and this fourth one won't work.
Thanks In Advance Everyone

atlien

RAM and CPU do not really have anything to do with it. People have been networking computers since the 486 25MHZ days. It is probably a driver or tcp issue.
What is the problem?
Do you get a link light on the network card? How about an IP address? (winipcfg)
Can you ping anything? Do you have the Microsoft Network client installed?

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

how do you have your network setup? is it just a file sharing network? is it all connected via a hub or router? Double check your tcp/ip settings. It has been so long since i have networked win95 but it is quite different from 98.

double check your nic card drivers, and if windows 95 has winipcfg then use that to determine network connectivity

I'm a little worried that it would work, but only very very very slowly. I have a 400mhz CPU / 190MB RAM PC on a network and that still struggles with the Word documents.

mdm708

[Iffy computing. Stupid username.]

Quote "People have been networking computers since the 486 25MHZ days" /Quote

begin Old Git Voice

I remember the days when I was installing 386 machines running at 16Mhz with 4Mb RAM onto a Novell Netware network.

/end Old Git Voice

There's no difference between any system when networking using TCP/IP except the applet in which you configure it. A Pentium with 8Mb RAM is plenty powerful enough - I have a 486 on my home network.

When you say it won't work, what are the symptoms? Can you ping one machine from another? how are you setting up the IP addressing? Are you using IP or maybe NetBEUI (easier, since you don't need to configure the IP stack)?

Hope this helps

Honestly guys, I'm stomped. It seems that this computer just won't take this Netgear nic. I boot up and the card is recognized but it won't see the drivers on the installation cd. It says that it doesn't see any drivers associated with the hardware. I'm certain that I've pointed it to the right place (verified by Netgear tech supp) but it still says that there aren't any associated drivers in the folder. It is the Netgear FA311 network adapter. Don't know why this thing won't take. If anyone has seen this prob please reply. If nothing, I guess I will just have to leave it, and give up. Even the Netgear people don't have real answers. Is there anyway to go into the DOS prompt and install? Is there any reason that might even work? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ATLien

I have used many of the Netgear FA311's and FA312's (same but with WOL cable) without any problems once they are properly installed. But, the installation is a little funny. Just make sure that when you install the drivers - do not skip any of the driver files even if the installer says it can't find them.

I don't remember the exact conditions, but I think this happens twice during the driver installation. You are told that Windows can't find a particular file. The required files are either on the Netgear driver floppy (or cd) or on the Windows and you need to find them. If you skip any of these files you will have problems.

If you think you may have skipped some of these during installation, I suggest that you remove everything related to the Netgear NIC (files, registry entries and the NIC itself) and try again. Make sure to not skip any driver files when reinstalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back