Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

to apostrophe or not to apostrophe 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with Ms. Burridge. The apostrophe can be a useful disambiguation tool.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Oh, I have to agree with Ms Burridge's overall view that "the emphasis should be on clarity" is correct and reasonable.

But I've never been convinced by the argument that where to use an apostrophe is confusing, and the article does not change my mind.

I have no quarrel with the notion that the rules of language should be reviewed, and completely agree that the purpose of punctuation should be clarity and disambiguation. To that end, I disagree that context should be relied upon to distinguish between singular and plural possessive.

I also feel that if something is confusing, education might be preferable to omission.

Where I have seen confusion with the apostrophe is not with respect to the possessive, but rather when the apostrophe is used for pluralization. "There are two ATM's at the bank". Although common, I don't think that apostrophe is proper. On the other hand, "There are four a's in the previously quoted sentence" is, I believe, a correct use of the apostrophe for pluralization.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I use them mainly as a replacement for missing letters as in "That's" instead of "That is"

Isn't it also used if something belongs to someone "Jake's car"?

My biggest annoyance with modern language of an apostrophe nature is "your" instead "you're

"your" instead "you're"

I hate that, too. They are two entirely different things, yet many people just don't seem to know the difference.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

We've had a discussion similar to this one once before. Someone contributed a link to The Dreaded Apostrophe, which propounds the use of a single, simple rule: Use an apostrophe where letters are missing.

The site goes on to clarify the use of the rule by taking a look at contractions and English's vestigal genetive case.

TANSTAAFL!!

Saw it written on a shop window, I can't remember the exact question written on the window, but the shop owner was out touting for business and asked me the question.

I asked him what he was on about as the question made no sense, he looked at me blankly until I corrected his grammer. He said "should it be spelt that way" and went in to get onto the sign writers. Ah, causing strife wherever I go :)

I agreee with one of the comments to the article. I think peopl who don't want to learn the correct use of the apostrophe are just being lazy. That's no reason for us to omit it from grammar rules.

It's really not that difficult to learn. I think one of the problems may be in our education structure - I don't think grammar is taught in schools to the same extent that it was when I went to school. That's the real shame in the issue!

I think the possessive apostophe should be preserved. It serves a useful purpose, in my opinion. Someone mentioned context - I think context will differentiate between "missing letters" vs. "possession" when an apostrophe is used.

My biggest problem (personally) when using the possessive apostrophe is when a word ends with "s" or "es." I can never remember if it's "James' car" or "James's car" or what.

As to Cajun's example about ATM's vs. a's, at first I disagreed that the former was incorrect (I saw no difference). Upon reflection, he makes a good point, although ATMs somehow looks funny to me.

Tim'
(is that inappropriate? the "othy" is missing, after all...)[smile]

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

kmcginn said:
I think one of the problems may be in our education structure - I don't think grammar is taught in schools to the same extent that it was when I went to school. That's the real shame in the issue!

True, true! Back when I was in high school (not THAT long ago...) english class was mandatory every year of high school. However, only one particular class emphasized grammar and the proper mechanics of writing. Sadly, it was the least popular class.

As of late, I have noticed, working in a top academic institution, that many distinguished academics can not use proper grammar or spell! I find it disturbing that a PhD does not know when to use "its" and "it's".

[cheers]
Cheers!
Laura

Bob's car", ergo "James's car". Those who quote the misbegotten rule, "If the word ends in 's', just add an apostrophe to make it possessive," are sorely incorrect.

We simply add an apostrophe to show possession if the possessive word has become plural via an ending 's': Example: "That is the boys' locker room." If, however, the possessive word becomes plural by some other method, then plural possessive comes from an apostrophe-'s': Example: "That is the men's locker room."

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

I think Apostrophe would be an excellent name for a daughter but my wife disagrees.

I believe that "Apostrophe" is a lovely girl's name...much more poetic than my manager at Oracle, Simmie Kastner, who married Robert Colen, and she, of course became "Simmie Colen". Full stop.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

It would be pretty enough, I suppose, to English ears.

But the question is probably, "Do you want to give your daughter a name that means, 'to turn away'?"

[French, from Late Latin [tt]apostrophus[/tt], from Greek [tt]apostrophos[/tt], from [tt]apostrephein[/tt], to turn away : [tt]apo-[/tt], apo- + [tt]strephein[/tt], to turn; see [tt]streb(h)-[/tt] in Indo-European roots.]

TANSTAAFL!!

Please, don't name a daughter after any sort of punctuation mark; she'd grow up having to deal with an excessive number of jokes about periods.

Don't do it Sheco!

Guys might find her too possessive, or at least prone to short cuts.

She might also grow up to be a mid-wife, given her expertise with contractions...

Tim [bigsmile]

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

[rofl]

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I'm tempted to say that the Germans do fine without one, but then I remember that they have 7 different inflections of the word "the" to take care of nuances. I suspect that they wouldn't be willing to simplify, either.

It's not always that people do not know how to use the terms or are not intelligent. Most of the time it's simply laziness or people just don't take the time to insert the correct punctuation. Depending on the situation i think it's okay to let some things slide.

For instance when sending informal emails or typing on this forum i think its okay to say

its theyre youre no need to insert because we all know it goes there

Steve Budzynski
Metro Office Products Inc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back