Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tnsnames configuration problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigreeuropeo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
ES
Hi.
I've just installed Oracle 9i client on a W2000 Professional and when I try to connect to the database I receive this message: TNS-12638 Credential retrieval failed. The error messages book says: Enable tracing to determine exact error. I don't know how to turn tracing on.

My database is working ok, and I have about 10 machines with Windows ME working on the database without problems.
I checked every tnsnames.ora and all of them seem to be ok, but on windows 2000 puts the domain name at the end of the service name. This is my tnsnames.ora:

DESA01.AWSCENTRAL.AWS.ES =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = desa01)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = desa01)
)
)

I think there's a problem when using GLOBAL_NAMES and the default domain path, but I'm not sure.

Can u help me?
Thanks.

I think your main problem is related to the version of Oracle you have installed. Since you have installed Oracle 9.0 CLIENT version, there must be a server installed (either remotly or on the same machine) in order to use the client. Client version can only work when you have a server to connect to. As a stand-alone database it will NOT work.

I have an Oracle 9i database installed and working on another Win 2000 server, the problem is when I try to configure the Win 2000 clients.

Ok, understood. Yes that extra string at the end of the alias does create problem depending on the OS and version of Oracle. I haven't worked with Oracle 9i, but I would suggest you put ".world" after the alias name in your tnsnames.ora file and check.
Also, in other machines that connect to your database what have you put in their tnsnames.ora after the alias name?
i.e. after "DESA01." try putting the same thing in win2000's tnsnames.ora. IF ALL ELSE FAILS(and even if it doesn't fail) PUT YOUR QUESTION @ It is THE BEST support site for database (Esp. Oracle). Experts will answer you promptly. For your pl/sql questions goto good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back