Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TNs Randomly Disabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickTek

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
We have an Opt 81C and periodically have TNs disable for no known reason. Usually they are 2500 TNs, but once in a while some 3900's will also disable. They are not on the same card, shelf, etc. Any ideas? Thanx in advance.

strang on the 2500 sets. Anything in the HST file?? Sounds like layer 1 and/or bus issue.

Mato' Was'aka

Nothing in the HST - the 2500 sets are our patient room phones, and we see at least one disabled TN a week, usually more. We delete the TN, rebuild the same TN, and it works fine. Not a major problem, but a nuisance.

How is the cable plant? Do you have old cable that might cause issues? Maybe there is some sort of induction into the cable that the system doesn't like and disables the TN to protect itself?

War Eagle!
Lions Baseball '09!

You write that you "OUT" and rebuild. I'm curious why you don't just Enable the TN?

I'm wondering if it isn't that they disable, but that they just stop working. Can you clarify?

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

If their typical patient phones (cheap $5 models) they may be disabling them because they have been dropped too many times. Switch see's potential set fault and disables TN?

You can dead-short an analog TN for weeks and it still won't disable.

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

If we try to enable the TNs, they ring busy. We discovered that if we out and rebuild, they work.

Also, about 2/3 of the cabling in the building that houses most of the patient phones is 40-50 years old. We have replaced 1/3 with new, within the past 5 years.

To clarify, some of the phones disable, some of them stop working and ring busy. In both cases, outing and rebuilding always solves the problem.

Ring Busy" doesn't describe anything I know of. You either hear "Busy" or "Fast Busy" - and there is a big difference. I don't think any of us is sure if they were STAT DSBL disabled or not. If they are disabled, you'd hear "Fast Busy". If they appeared to be in use or were in Lockout, you hear "Busy"

If you Enable it, and it's busy, then TRAC it and find out "what" process is making it seem in use.

Here are two other things I'd be doing to isolate the problem:

- Does disabling the card and re-seating it resolve the issue.

- If you MOV the TN to another TN, then MOV it back (so in the end, the programming lands on the TN it started at), does that resolve the issue. It would at least be faster than rebuilding.

~~~

Based on the age of the cable plant, I am wondering if you can be certain the PBX is grounded.

~~~

PBX is grounded. The phones ring fast busy. Thanks for the move idea - much faster.

in my case also i face similar issue..my client has rls 4.5.and the extensions get disable on their own...i have tried enabling them..but the software shows enabled whereas the physical phone is still down..majority of the phones are M3902,M3903 and some M3905 phones...we tried rebuilding the whole system..initially for a few days it worked fine, but the issue reappeared...

this issue is literally bugging me...and got no clue what to do next...

help me..

Thanks,
hari.

We don't know all the things you have done so far, so the next stet would be the basics: Like, can you prove the system is grounded properly.

~~~

what level of firmware do you have on the m3900 phones? is it the latest? when you enable the phones and the phones still do not work, what if anything is shown on the phone LCD display?

I had a similar problem with an 11C where random digital tn's would just quit working. After checking the power, grounding, and re-seating the same 3-4 cards, the problem strangely enough turned out to be the customer supplied T1.

Turns out they were emulating a T1 through thier network, and there was some conversion issue that was causing the grief. I was new to the site/customer and had no idea how the T1 was supplied.

Doubt this will help you, but I thought I'd share it.

Our system appears to be grounded properly to the building ground. Our firmware is 8.0. I will investigate the T1 lines. - Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back