Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TN767E vs TN464 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathersue

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Hi All,

Here goes. I remember a while back I was doing a few cutovers from T1's to ISDN Pri circuits, and there was some talk about possible having to replace TN767's with TN464's.. something to do with sharing D channels if I remember correctly. I beleive Avaya had said that there would need to be at least 1 464 in the system to do ISDN...anyone know the details/specifics about this? What is the difference between the 767's and the 464's and when would you need to upgrade to 464's? Thanks all!

~heather~

The primary and secondary D signaling channels are setup through the 464 circuit packs. The other members can be added to the trunk group using the 767 circuit packs.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Thanks mikeydidit!!

So if I am understanding correctly, as long as the D channels are on the 464, all of the other members can hang out on the 767s... Can both the promary and secondary D channels be on the same pack, or not a good idea (if we lose the pack then we're out of luck?) We are looking to have 6 PRI lines in all, and we want to have 1 D channel and a backup. My guess would now be we need 2 464's...correct? Thanks again.

~heather~

To the best of my knowledge, these need to be separate packs. I would set them (464) packs up in different cabinets as well, if that is an option that you have. This gives you some sort of redundancy with your group. One more that I would add. It is a good idea to keep some of your copper trunks (OGO, DID's). I still have a group of each setup with a higher FRL than say my normal trunk groups. This gives you some backup to your PRI groups in a worse case scenario and these are only accessible to the people at your place of business that have a higher COR.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

heathersue,

One more thing. The TN767 (all versions/vintages) does not support D-channel in an S8700. You must use the TN464.

Good Luck!

Thanks you both for your input!

mikeydidit, do you mean by "seperate" that one d channel would go on 1 pack (464) and the backup D channel would go on the other pack (464)? Then the rest of the cards...those can be the 767s... I just wanted to make sure I'm understanding you correctly....

~heather~

You will need 2ea. 464 circuit packs to add this group if you want to add a secondary d signaling channel to your group. This will give you a primary and a secondary d signaling channel. I have these 2 packs in different cabinets in case something happens to one cabinet the other signaling channel can take over. The D signaling should be added to the 24th port on these packs. On the signaling group form, you will see primary and secondary fields. This is where you program these.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back