Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TN767 E & PRI D-Channel- Can I use CSU/DSU? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

novwin

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2004
US
Hi all- Anyone know if I can use a TN767 E with a CSU/DSU to connect to a PRI with a D-Channel instead of using a TN555 for D-Channel management?

Thanks! -Novwin

Yes, you can. You just need to setup a signaling group on the 24th channel.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

Thanks, this will save me mucho dinero since I already have TN 767Es and CSU/DSUs lying around and don't have any spare TN 464s or 555.

On a G3si V7 or later you can use a TN767 for ISDN-PRI service. Prior to V7 you also needed a port on a Processor Interface board (TN765). For G3r/S8700 systems you need a TN464 for all PRI circuits that have a 'D' channel. Th TN555 adjunct board was only used in G2 systems.

Kevin

No problem. Not certain, but I think the TN722 is the only DS1 card that won't connect to a PRI with a D channel.

Incidently, you really don't need CSU's if you're not running a lot of cable between the DS1 card and the fiber mux or T1 termination. If you're PRI comes in on copper from another building, (or over a great distance) then you should use them, but if your PRI terminates from a fiber mux that's in the same room as your PBX, it's pretty much a waste, and just creates another failure point.

Some people like them as test/monitor points, (creating loop-backs and such.) I just find them a nuisance because you have to provide rack space, backup power, etc.... The compact CSU that AVAYA produces is the exception. I don't mind those since they do away with all the rack/ups problems.

Okay...I've got an S8500 so maybe I'm not looking at good news. When I try to set the DS1 up as ISDN-PRI I get an error telling me (I use the ASA software)that it requires a TN2242, TN2464, DMM1, TN464C or later release circuit pack.

So maybe I set this up as isdn-ext when using the CSU/DSU? This isn't part of a trunk group with a TN464 or I'd just use it's d-channel...

Wait! That's right... that's the limitation.

TN767E boards can only be used as ISDN-PRI EXT circuits. You can't use them as the D-Channel carrier in a PRI arrangement with NFAS, but you can use them and the 24 channel circuits.

The D-channel does require a TN464 board or later. I haven't seen them in years, so it takes me a while to remember these things.

Mea-Culpa.

I was under the impression that federal regulations required a csu/dsu to 'protect' the network. If u are connecting on a campus network then u are not required to use one and can even go 31 channels like the rest of the world instead of 23channels. Some t-1 boards have a built in csu on them but they require a 120 adapter that has some resistors and capacitors in it to balance with the network. In the screen 'change ds1 xxx' make sure that the 'intergrated csu' is set up properly or u will get problems.

Da-vi'do

P.S. A message to all,if you want to get the best response to a question, please read FAQ222-2244 first. Also give the type & version of your voice mail & pbx system & preview your post to make sure it is complete & understandable. Be aware that if u don't answer a question, I usually will not continue to help u.

There are some PBX's with DS1 (T1) cards that are not FCC registered, and the manufacturers won't bother doing that because of the homologation nightmares it creates.

They would rather let the CSU manufacturers get all the local registry approvals, and just certify their equipment to work with the CSU's.

However, Avaya has registered not only the 120A CSU, but also the DS1 card.

From the Definity pocket reference book FCC references section:

Manufacturer’s Port SOC/REN/
Identifier FIC Code A.S. Code Network Jacks
Off/On premises station OL13C 9.0F RJ2GX,RJ21X,RJ11C
DID trunk 02RV2-T 0.0B RJ2GX,RJ21X
CO trunk 02GS2 0.3A RJ21X
CO trunk 02LS2 3.0A RJ21X
Tie trunk TL31M 9.0F RJ2GX
1.544 digital interface 04DU9-B,C 6.0F RJ48C,RJ48M
1.544 digital interface 04DU9-BN,KN 6.0F RJ48C,RJ48M
120A2 channel service unit 04DU9-DN 6.0F RJ48C

It, of course, mentions all the same "you must accept interference, you must disconnect if you cause damage" statements, but it's not illegal (in the US anyway)to connect directly.

The CSU is just that, a channel service unit. If you need to break off a few channels to a separate piece of equipment, or your signal degrades over distance, a CSU is what you need. If you're just connecting a whole T1 to a PBX, and the copper portion of your T1 is only 30-50 feet long, you can easily do without them.

Last night I tried removing a TN464F and adding a TN767E. Prior to removing the card I removed the card from the trunk group, deleted the signaling group and deleted the ds1. Then I installed the TN767E, created the ds1, created the signaling group. But, when I checked the status of the signaling group I was saying that it was 'out of service'. I have another TN767E in the PBX already and that seems to be using it's own d-channel fine.

PBX: Prologix G3csi v8

Is there something that I'm missing??? Please help. Thanks.

Did you try to bounce the D channel? Try the command busy port followed by the port assigned to the D channel. Then type release port again followed by the ELL assigned to the D channel. This usually gives the D channel a kick in the pants and they try to re-sync.

It's worth a try. I did the same steps last weekend except mine were reversed. I swapped a 767 for a 464. I followed the same steps you did.

Hope this helps & Happy New Year
Good Luck
ED

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back