Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tivoli Enterprise Console Tasks 3.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

aofan

Technical User
Jan 23, 2004
US
Experts,

I have a question on how to set up a procedure of events notifcation by using the default TEC tasks in the library.
I tried to setup a notification routine that is using "sendmail" to send e-mails once the severity of events get to certain level. After sending out the first e-mail to the administrator, if he/she doesn't responses (acknoledge or close) the events, the second e-mail will send it out to a different administrator.
Is there a way to accomplish this task? or Is there a better way of doing it?

I have a level of knowledge on TEC, however not very much on configuring the user side. I spent a lot time on the guides and redbooks and I could not find any thing at all.

Env. Information:
AIX 5.2 ml 2
Framework 4.1
TEC 3.9

Help!

Thank you in advance,

sc

Hi aofan,

I am currently implementing tec 3.9. I haven't really tried what you mentioned in your post but i believe this can be done. If you set rules, to enable forwarding of email to another user. You can go to the event server and choose the rule base that your using. Make a right click and select edit rules. You can mix and match several rules. I cannot give u the exact details because I am currently out. I'll test it when I get back our test lab. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Hallo,

you have to setup a timer rule that checks after a given time if the event is still open. If that is the case, you send email to another person.
Tricky part is to choose where to set the timer. If you set the timer on the event itself, you might end up with a CPU hog if this occurs often. The timer limit is still 1000 (upto 3.6 it was 100!).
Better way is to use the "eternal" TEC_Tick event which is always available. You'd have to set a timer initially in a TEC_Start rule:

Code:
rule: tecstart: (
  event: _tick of_class 'TEC_Tick',
  action: ( set_timer(_tick,60,'TEC heartbeat') )
).

Then, on timer expiry you reset the timer to its previous value and do whatever you want to have done. In your case you get the current time, calculate the difference to date_reception of your 'whatever' class event, and if the difference exceeds your limit the admin gets fired ;) because the 2nd email goes to HR.

Code:
timer_rule: tectick: (
  event: _tick of_class 'TEC_Tick',
  timer_info: equals 'TEC heartbeat',
  action: (
/* first set the timer again */
    set_timer(_tick,60,'TEC heartbeat'),
/* look for other events */
    first_instance(event: _what of_class 'whatever'
       where [ status: equals 'OPEN',
               date_reception: _when ]),
/* do something with the _what event */
      get_time(_cur_time),
      _age is _cur_time - _when,
      _age > 300,
      exec_task(...),
).

There might be some typos here, read the rules reference at $BINDIR/../generic_unix/TME/TEC/BOOKS/HTML/reference.html.

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"

Senior Consultant, Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant + Instructor
santix AG, +49-89-321506-0, Fax -99 info@santix.de
Weihenstephaner Str. 4, D-85716 Unterschleissheim, GSM +49-171-4416678

Thank you all.

I will try the rules for sure.
I will post for any results.

I actaully stuck at the send-email tasks, anyone know why it is not sending e-mails to the administrator regarding to windows box? My tec server is in UNIX box.

Thank you.

aofan

Theseeling,

Thank your the code, will it be easilier if I use the redo_action? Instead of setting two timers?
The code you provided, only going to send two e-mails - one for the events initially, and one is for the second -emails, however it won't send out constantly for the same event if the event still open. Am I right?

"Redo_action" will keep sending out events for the period of time; until it acknowledged or closed. Is it correct?

What's the advantage and disadvantage of doing those way?
Will CPU be affect for the looping? performance of the TEC?

Thank you for your help

Thank you again,

SC = aofan

aofan44@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back