Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tipshare in Aloha 5.3.31e

Status
Not open for further replies.

xayk

MIS
Jul 10, 2006
US
Howdy again you all,

I've got a mass of confusion regarding how Aloha handles tipsharing/tip outs. The first mass of confusion is this: if I've got a job code set as "pays tipshare", where does that money go to? And who doles it out (or, perhaps, how does it get doled out to the indirectly tipped employees?)

The second ball of confusion - and this may just be me - is that the manual seems to use "tip share" and "tip out" interchangeably, even though they *appear* to be different concepts.

We're moving towards holding credit card tips until payday, and were looking to have a record of how much the runners/hosts/etc are being tipped, and the appropriate way to pay them. But I can't wrap my head around all the confusion Aloha's thrown at me...

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm just an end user myself (but a veteran one) so I don't have the knowledge of some of the experts on this forum. Here's what I do:

Aloha setup:
Job code has servers pay tip share.

Bartender of course does not pay tip share.

We have our "order mode To Go" as not tippable sales, so if a server takes a to go order they're not tipping the pool.

Then set up the tip share in "Events". (Good Aloha docs on this). Our lunch servers don't tip out, our event fires @ 3:30 pm, start of earlybird. Our tip share is 3.5%.

At end of business, manager does a sales report for the day and notes the tip share $$$. Actually we created a custom daily sales report called "tip share" that reports only the tip share $$$, so that the manager dosen't have to look through an entire sales report.

When servers check out we collect the $$$ shown on their report and put into a separate bank.

We wrote a custom excel file that fits "Our" operation. We operate on a 4 week, 13 period format. At the end of the night the manager simply plugs the total "tip share $$$" from the Aloha report and the spreadsheet does the math. Really pretty simple. Say total tip share = $100. We tip out Bar @ 28% Salad @ 22% Bus @ 50%. Well the amounts are obvious. We then have sub routines in the spreadsheet to handle say busboys when there is more than one. We take the 50% tip out amount, calculate total bus hours, then individual busser's hours as a % of the total and Voila, properly proportioned busser's tips.

Knowing the reporting limitations of Aloha caused us to create a really good Excel program to fit our needs.

As for holding CC tips till payday, you want to re-think that one. I'm curious as to why you would want to do this. There's some reason why servers want their money right away. Philisophically, I'm with ya. But this is a battle I once tried to fight. Forget it. You can tell them how much better it would be for them to budget their income , blah, blah. In the end just tell it to a non English speaking BOH employee. They're much better at saving money anyway!

Thanks for the detailed response; I see now that Aloha's nomenclature is right, but the way I was thinking about it was wrong. It doesn't look like it'll do what I'd like it to do, but oh well.

As far as keeping cc tips, I agree, but was not consulted on the matter. From my lowly position, it's simply a matter of implementing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back