Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips on 200 Pair Cat3 Type 66 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnerj

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
Does any one have any tips on punching down 200 pair cat 3 on type 66 blocks? I know the color codes, Im looking for tips to speed it up? This is going to be tedious...

when you lace in the pairs on the 66 clips, start from the bottom w/ the last pair and work your way up to the first (wht-blue). This keeps the previously laced pair in the clips out of the way. It makes it go much faster when you are not fighting to keep the individual wires out of the way. Ten once you have laced in all of the 25 pairs, go through and punch all 50 wires down.

I see too many alledged techs doing it one pair @ a time. I learned the color code backwards because of this.The old timer who taught me this method used to say "You can tell a phone man is knowledgeable, if laces from the bottom to the top" or something to that effect. Matthew Masi RCDD

You got good information from the other responders but you could also start at the top and pull the wires up into the 66 pins instead of down. Both ways work fine.

Thanks for the tips every one. I went with the bottom up, laced everything then punched everything down from the top down... just seemed easier. I found a good internet site that spelled out all the color codes, and once I studied that It was very easy.

Once you understand that tip is Violet, Yellow, Black, Red, and White, and Ring is Slate, Brown, Green, Orange, Blue, the hundreds of pairs start to make sense.

I had both ends done in a few short hours. Keep in mind I went from TYPE 66 on the bottom and CAT5 on the top, so I had to pay attention to the punch down order on the top...

Here is the web page that has the color codes.

I've seen a bunch of good color charts. That's a very good one. Very complete and even has illustrations. I like it!
[2thumbsup]
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

Forward, backward dosen't much matter after a couple 100,000 binders! You start knowing where any pair goes the second you grab it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back