Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips for organizing your IT department 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeenbeer

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2007
US
Hello All,

I'm am wondering what kind of strategy's you guys employee to keep documents & software organized. Also if you know of any free helpdesk software that works well. I'm trying to clean things up a bit and am interested in what works well for others.

Thanks,

As far as software and documents, I digitize everything and store them on the network. The originals are either destroyed or filed into a fire-proof storage box (some actually go to the bank safty deposit box).

As far as helpdesk software, it depends on what you actually want to do. I've seen people use Excel to track help desk calls without a problem, and I've seen others use the most expensive custom built piece of software and not able to keep customers happy. First, I would recommend you sit down and document all of your processes within the help desk (rules to escalate, hold/wait time limits, everything you can think of) then use that as a template for the various software packages that are out there. If the software doesn't do what you want it to do, then you'll never use it...thus making even free-ware a waste of money.

im in ur stakz, overflowin ur heapz!

I like the idea of digitizing everything. Then you have access to it where ever you are at. Still playing around with helpdesk software. I currently have the equivalent of excel doc to perform logging of trouble tickets. If anyone knows of a simple help desk solution I'm all ears.

Sorry for the necropost, but spiceworks ( is a good tool for small networks (and larger ones, too, I'd imagine!). I've been using it for about half a year. It's free and it includes a network inventory system (with auto-discovery) as well as a helpdesk application. Not bad at all...

Ben
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. - Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back