Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tips and Declared Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadang

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2005
US
I have a situation where the servers at a store can claim
less than their CCTips. At least that is what it looks like in a Tip/Labor report. Is this possible without checking this in the Store Settings? I do not want to allow this to happen. If nothing else I would like the Managers at the store to swipe their mag card to allow it....any ideas?

Thanks!
Brian

Sorry...it is Aloha 5.3.19

Should be a checkbox in Store Settings under the Labor tab: "No Minimum declared tips". With this box checked, employees can declare less than total charge tips. Uncheck this box to disable.

I am on 5.3.28, I am assuming this is the same.

The problem is that i run a report that shows declared tips at less than the CCtips.
What I want is this not to be allowed. The box that you are talking about is NOT checked so from what the Aloha manual states this should make it so that server has to declare at least the CCtip amount...right?

Either that or I would like to have a manager swipe to allow it to happen.

I appreciate all of the help that I can get.

Thanks
Brian

It is an option because of tip outs. You don't want to force a server to declare 100 percent of CC tips if they have to tip out from them. Your call. Also you must check the 'Must Declare' in the job code to make them calim the CC minimum along with the store setting in Labor.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Bo,
I know that having them declare 100 percent on CC is a pain because a server might have had only credit cards for payments and they will have to reach in their pockets for Tip share...but that is what the "wigs" want to do. I changed the setting that you mentioned in the job code but it won't let them print their checkout. It states that they will have to do it on the back of house...at least that is what the store is telling me.

Brian

That doesn't sound right.
You should have must declare in job codes checked and uncheck the no minimum in store settings-labor. Something else was changed, hope someone at the store didn't check or uncheck something they shouldn't have in store settings or job codes. Even if I am wrong, that should not generate and error saying they have to check out in the back of house, as I have never seen that message. I have seen the one that requires a manager to check out though.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-

There is also the 'Display Threshold Message' checkbox in job code maintenance that will display a warning if the declared tips are less than cc tips.

I have not seen that checkout error message either. It does seem unrelated to the declared tips issue because tips are declared when the employee clocks out, not when they run their checkout.

Hope this helps...
Matt

I will change it back so that the error comes back and then I will post it. I will also check the box for the threshold message. Any other places that I should look?

Thanks you guys!
Brian

I did the switch back and this is what it says:

"Please proceed to the office to continue your checkout"

This is after I set on the Server Job Code that they must declare tips at checkout with Display Threshold Message checked. I also have Tip % Threshold set to 8% in store settings.

Thanks
Brian

I am still searching on this one. I did find a line in the Aloha.ini file in the newdata folder that says,
BALANCECHECKOUTTOBOH=FALSE
Maybe yours us true??
Not sure if this is it, but I will continue to search on it.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-

Bo,
I looked at the INI and it states false also.. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Brian

I just started reading this thread, been busy!

I believe that the "Must Declare at Checkout" is for an entirely different reason. That function is made so that a bartender must input how much is in the drawer before his checkout will print out. That way the bartender can't pocket the overage in the drawer. I could be wrong, but this is what I do along with "blind bartender".

One question on this: Is automatic tipshare enabled? This will allow you to declare less than your cc tips because it's already taken out of your checkout.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Adam,
I do have Tipshare enabled. By disabling this will it cause the manager to swipe the mag card to allow for less than CCtips collected? Can the POS still figure tipshare without allowing declared tips below the CCTip amount?

Thanks
Brian

Honestly I have never had to deal with this. To me it sounds more like a bookeeping issue. It's been my expierence that servers always declare less than what they really make. To be honest I get taxed on everything I make, but servers are exceptions to the rules of the IRS!! So I don't have much sympothy for them. I used to be a server so I know how it works!

That being said, I have been asked the question by owners of how to deal with servers that question the rules. I tell them that the business is liable for it, not the server. That is straight out of the IRS books. Most clients look that and agree. If a server has all CC tables (which in my area is very unlikely), then in the long run, it turns out even. They probably won't like it, but it's the truth.

So in my opinion I wouldn't bend over backwards to cater to servers concerns. In the long run they aren't being screwed on taxes, they are actually saving money on taxes by not declaring everything that they are making.

In summary, I wouldn't let them declare less than their CC tips ever. I know that not many will agree with this, but I've seen how much some servers make (especially in fine dining, where most CC only tips are made).

Only my opinion!!

Adam

Adam, have you ever seen the message that states "Please proceed to the office to continue your checkout"?

Bo

Kentucky phone support-

Adam, I totally agree with you on the tips issue. That is why I want to force them to claim at least the minimum CC Tips. Our other concepts use a different POS and it forces a manager mag card swipe to allow for anything under 10% of sales. Is Aloha capable of doing the same thing.

My bosses expect Aloha to do more than the software we use at our Applebee's concepts so that is why I am asking all of these off the wall questions.

Thanks again gents
Brian

Awesome, I just wrote a long reply and the website screwed up as I was sending it, erasing my post.......It's gonna be a lovely day.

First, I apoligize for my outburst, This tip thing has finally hit a nerve!!

Bo, I haven't seen that exact message, but if you have "must declare at checkout" checked and you try hitting ok without putting in a valid amount it will give you an error. I don't think it is the same as the above error, but I'll have to check.

Brian, I don't think so. What I would do is put "Declared tips" and "CC tips" in your labor report. If a server declared liss that the CC tips, edit their punch and change their declared tips. If the server doesn't like it, show them the IRS manual for tipped employees.

Gotta go see a far away client, but I will test all of this when I get back as I'm sure I will run into this sooner or later!!

Adam

Please proceed to the office to continue your checkout"

This is after I set on the Server Job Code that they must declare tips at checkout with Display Threshold Message checked. I also have Tip % Threshold set to 8% in store settings."

Looks like you set it to display the message, on that same tab, hit the message box, which bring up the "guest check messages" one of which must be set to "Please proceed to the office to continue your checkout" .

Hey all,
Sorry but I am not sure where we got with this. Have we come to the conclusion that the managers need to keep an eye on the servers and adjust there stuff accordingly? How do we force the servers to declare all of the cash tips?

I know that this is an old thread, but my bosses are asking again and i just want to give them an answer so they stop asking.

Thanks again!
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back