Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tip - how to change from port 5 to port 4 on 56k int. faxmodem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbwr

Technical User
Jan 8, 2000
US
home.nc.rr.com
56k Faxmodem PCI uses a virtual port 5. It can not be changed to another port. If you have softawre that requires the modem to be on another port, it is possible to make the modem to appear to be on port 4.<br>
<br>
To do this you have to do a right-click install of a program on the driver disc. The program is called dosbox.<br>
<br>
I had a heck of a time finding this out. Finally called 3com's 900 # and they told me about it.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps someone else

You can also change the setting in the registry by finding the references to com5 and changing them to com4 or com3 if it is available. 3Com does not support this. [sig][/sig]

also to make sure dosbox is working right you open a dos window and type: echo ata>com4 and then you should hear like a loud noise signifying the modem is trying to dial out. Also you can try having the modem dial a number this way too: echo atdt18004566245>com4 either way if it works you should get results.

I cannot get my external 3comusrobotics faxmodem to dial out from within a DOS program running in a window, I can get a windows program to dial out and work, I can get the DOS program to dial out if the computer is started in pure DOS mode, can anyone help with this problem.
System Win98se, at home my modem works, but this modem is a Ham Modem and the software does have what they call a DOS box to tick, does the 3com drivers need to be older ones to support a DOS program from within a window.
ps I need to run in windows to enable the network.
I have tried the old Modem that was fitted to the computer and this did not help, it did run in Win95, is it possible that Win98se does not allow the comm port to be grabbed by a DOS program running from within a virtual DOS Window?
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back