Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tiny computer inaccessible... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzine

MIS
Jul 13, 2003
GB
Hello.. My friend owns a Tiny computer that is inaccessible. Am I right in saying that Tiny installs its own software making it impossible for users to make repairs or reinstall software?
He tried the 'recovery disk' and it worked for a couple of days but now it's back to an 'unfamiliar' blue screen.
I suggested that he replace the hard drive?

dzine
The recovery disc can often be just a "boot disk" that activates a "Ghost recovery image" already on the hard drive, so the actual configured recovery information is on the hard drive and not on the CDrom at all.
If this is the case and the "recovery image becomes corrupted" it obviously won't work correctly.
You could just format (deleting all partitions and recreating as required, first) and then just install Windows XP.
XP is likely to install, configure and find drivers for most things but typically there may be a couple of drivers you will have to locate (possibly sound, modem and graphics) With a bit of detective work you should be able to establish what graphics and sound chipsets you have (study the motherboard for sound and video chip types) in order to locate appropriate drivers on somewhere like:

Ideally you need to also install the latest mainboard drivers (depending on chipset) eg: if you motherboard is based on a Via chipset you would install the latest Via 4 in 1's available from somewhere like via arena etc etc.
You probably will have to replace the modem if XP doesn't automaticly find a generic driver.

Obviously this will just give you a running PC with OS, you will need to install any additional programs you need like office etc.

Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks for the reply... I thought the only other option might be to format the drive. Cheers. dz.

Bad RAM can cause blue screen errors also. If the blue screen says "can't write to drive C", then your hard drive is probably bad.
What does the blue screen say?

Jim

dzine
One thing at a time, if you just can't install then you may well have a hardware problem.
Explain in detail just what is happening.
Martin

Start by questioning and soon you will be anwering.
please take but remember to give when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back