Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tint in Quark not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pobajo

Technical User
Jan 30, 2004
US
Working on MAC dual G5 PPC
Quark 6.52

I cannot see on screen a 7% black tint, tho all my coworkers can on their montitors. Don't know if Quark or monitor problem. some can even see 2% tints. I need to see this in order to work! Our tech has tried other video cards to no avail. Anyone have this problem and a solution?

Thanks

I should mention I have a wide screen 2-page Apple monitor.

Have you tried changing the calibration settings on the monitor.

Different monitors display differently. Are your co workers using the same monitor as you? (Brand, setup, calibration)

Are the lights above you in a different spot to your co workers?

All these things come into play when setting up a monitor.

Marcus

Hi pobajo
Running Quark 6.52 here on Intel iMac and can print out a 2% background on a form that I use.
Printing on an HP Laserjet 1200 at 1200 DPI and 2% looks good.
Maybe try printing out and see how it looks at 7% then use 20% or something while you are working on the document then change to 7% when you finish.
Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

Thank you Marcus. I'm passing this info on to our Mac tech. Hopefully calibration settings will solve this.

IMac Quarker: I can print out the tints ok too, even at 2%. It is just on the screen that I cannot see them. I actually did change it to 15% while I'm building the templates, but this is a massive project, taking 4 years. Many, many documents. And probably 10 master pages per document will have the 7% tint in them, so it is not possible to do them all darker then switch back.

The person that started this could see her 7% tint just fine, so it wasn't until I started work on it that the problem showed up. It is only on my Mac out of a dept. of 6. We even took one of the other monitors that did display the 7% tint and connected it to my monitor. Same problem. So, it is definitely a problem with my Mac.

Thank you.

Just remember that it's not the machine, just the settings. You'd probaby be well sertved to buy an outboard calibrator so that all machines and monitors show things similarly. Pantone has a large selections at all price ranges availalbe on their website as do many other dealers.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Hi pobajo
Not sure if this will help, but with my Quark 6.52 I have scripts that will change all picture boxes in a document, to a specified color and shade.
However I cannot search and change a specific shade or color and this only works with picture boxes. Would be nice if you could modify that script to work with text boxes and to search for specific shades.
Also it only changes the Layout pages and not the master pages.
IMacQuarker

Thank you for yet more possibilities to explore.

Interesting to know about the script to change picture boxes, but we do have other color and percentages also in our documents.

I had the exact same issue as you when sitting up an coworkers monitor last year. I'm trying to remember what it was....

Forget about monitor calibration, you said you swapped monitors over. so it's not that.

Question 1 Is your computer under your desk?
Question 2 Do you have an extension monitor cord which so the monitor can reach the box?

If so plug the monitor directly into the box bypassing the extension lead.

Marcus

Marcus S:

Could you please explain that further. My mac is on the desk, but I don't understand What Question 2 and the statement following it mean:

Question 2 Do you have an extension monitor cord which so the monitor can reach the box?

If so plug the monitor directly into the box bypassing the extension lead.

Thanks so much.

On desk vs under: Sometimes the computer can create iterference with a monitor when placed to close as on the desk. This was much more of a problem in the days of CRTS and analog signals. I am assuming that you're using a flat panel display with digital input.

Extension: Sometimes any extension can degrade a signal. It can also pick up outside "noise". Extensions can also introduce resistance or capacitance. Resistance simply means the signal is weakened. With capacitance, certain frequencies are weakened. One way to reduce capacitance is to make sure that any extension is not coiled, especially tightly coiled.

I'm still convinced that your problem is more closely related to some improper setting in you color system prefs and or calibration and possibly tied to the light conditions under which you are viewing - which should be taken care of by cclaibration - even the visual calibration bundeld in the mac.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

For the life of me I can't remember how I fixed the problem.

It turns out we ended up getting the operator a flat screen and got rid of the monitor extension lead, which was about 6-12 months ago and I haven't heard her winge and moan about it since...

Have you calibrated the monitor???

You haven't said if you have yet or not.

Stop posting in the other forum. That way I won't have to keeping check that one as well...

Marcus

Thanks to all for your tips. Our Mac guy has tried them all. Yes, I have a flat screen. A co-worker has the same setup and we even tried applying all of her settings to profiles, calibration, etc. Nothing is working.

Marcus: Sorry I posted in both forums. I was desperate!

So, in conclusion, as it is definitely tied down to the mac being the problem, not the monitor, we will pass my mac on to a new employee that won't have a need for viewing tints, and I will get a new mac. Now, I guess I can't complain about that!

But, we had hoped to find the solution for any future occurances, information. It is so frustrating to have something happen and not be able to solve it.

Again thanks to all and consider the case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back