Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Timing DTS??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisLuv

Programmer
Jul 18, 2003
GB
Can anyone thing of a way of timing how long a DTS script takes to execute? It would be useful to know how long the one's we run over night take.

Might this be some form of ActiveX command to start the timing and then a msgbox at the end to report the total time taken?

Any help appreciated.
Chris

Have you tried turning on the log file for the package. This supplies you with Execution Started and Execution Completed.

To do this just go to PACKAGE / PROPERTIES from the menu in the DTS Package and then click on the Logging tab. Enter a filename into the Error handling section.

Hope this helps.
Brett

When I activate the log I get the message "Cannot read CDW log from destination server". Oh dear!

Thanks anyway. Anymore suggestions on either getting the log working or finding another way of timing DTS?

Is is scheduled?

The manual way -
View job history - see run duration . . .

[lol]

"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." - Spike Milligan

When I try to view the log I get the message "Cannot read CDW log from destination server".

Discovered just today that this can be solved by granting the user db_datareader permissions within the msdb database (that's where the DTS logs are stored).

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back