Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

timesync workstation to NW server

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequinman

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2004
US
Anybody know if you can setup WinXp (or 2K) to get it's time sync from a Netware server (running timesync)? Sorry if this a common question.

Thanks

Timesync supports NTP, so sure. Anything can sync to it (and vice-versa, generally). The workstations also sync at login via the Novell client.

Yeah, if you use the Novell client, it should sync from the server automatically. There is a client option called "Set Station Time" that is enabled by default.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I thought it support NTP and I'm aware of the "Set Station Time" during login. I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking to have the workstations look at the Netware's time at a predetermined time interval throughout the day, maybe every 10 mins.
I have some concern for the network load this will present but it's my only way to prove to a software vendor that the slight difference in time isn't the source of "a" problem.

Thanks to all that replyed! Has anybody modifed the REG to sync to a Netware server? I've seen posts on the internet refering to simply using the ip of the netware server but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Here is what I got googling your question.

There is a setting for the polling interval as well. I haven't tested this but it looks pretty straightforward. Let us know how it works out.

BTW, you have my sympathies about the vendor. I hate having to jump through hoops to get a company to help.

What are you trying to achieve here? You must have a good reason to want to sync your workstations time every 10 minutes or so, might be interesting to share it

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Ignore me, I should learn to read better (sorry!). Mind you, you'll be going to a lot of trouble to prove a software vendor wrong. Sometimes, all they need is a bit of a slap!

"It's true, its damn true!"

I have a hard time believe that the workstation gets correct time on login, yet a few hours later it is off so far that it could cause any problems with ANY application.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back